AJ is a punk.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 am

Not that it matters but I am a high arc softball pitcher and, during our last game, some guy leaned into 1 and got hit. I looked at the ump and he called it a strike, which it was. What an idiot. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby barry4prez » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:56 am

Who cares...he got away with it...don't blame him; blame the stupid umpire. Besides, the game was over anyway...I believe it was 11-2 Giants at that point.
barry4prez
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sunspot » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:59 am

Players play to win and if he did it and got away with it, then it worked. If your favorite player did it, I bet you wouldn't mind. Anyway, A.J. is gonna go off this week, hes got a very very favorable schedule.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:00 pm

barry4prez wrote:Who cares...he got away with it...don't blame him; blame the stupid umpire. Besides, the game was over anyway...I believe it was 11-2 Giants at that point.

The game being basically over makes the move even more lame. If you are up by 9 for the love of god swing the bat.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby eftda » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:14 pm

Tavish wrote:
barry4prez wrote:Who cares...he got away with it...don't blame him; blame the stupid umpire. Besides, the game was over anyway...I believe it was 11-2 Giants at that point.

The game being basically over makes the move even more lame. If you are up by 9 for the love of god swing the bat.

I can see a team doing it in extra innings but it was out of place... Does any one know the offical rule if the umps thinks the player tried to get hit?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby barry4prez » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:14 pm

Tavish wrote:

He was down in the count 0-2 and it was a frontdoor sinker that fooled him...it was too late to swing, and it would have been a called strike three...it was a calculated risk which worked out brilliantly.
barry4prez
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:27 pm

eftda wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I can see a team doing it in extra innings but it was out of place... Does any one know the offical rule if the umps thinks the player tried to get hit?

MLB Rule 6.08

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when

(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kingbobo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:10 pm

according to AJ he didn't see the ball at all, and has never been able to see Reed's pitches. He leaned in to try to get a read on the ball. he agreed that it should have been a strike, but what kid of crappy player would argue against a free base?
kingbobo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers