NL Central - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Central

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:43 pm

Cubs
Astros
Cardinals (all seperated by les than 5-6 games.. Cardinals pitching is a lot better this year compared to the past)

Reds (they're an interesting team, but, really?)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:50 pm

I'm thinking that whichever team finishes second will prolly get Wild Card. Does that sound reasonable?

Jack
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:00 pm

thats not just reasonable, its a fact. The east and West wont produce good enough teams in 2nd place to beat any of the others in the NL central.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:35 pm

It's likely that the wildcard will come from the NL Central but it's far from being a fact. There'd be no reason to play the games if the outcome was already decided. Nobody thought the wildcard would come out of the NL East last year and go on to win the World Series. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby crapshooter » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:37 pm

IF they can avoid injuries to key players the Astros will win the central. Their lineup is just too much better. IMO the only weak spot is Jimmy Williams.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:39 pm

crapshooter wrote:IF they can avoid injuries to key players the Astros will win the central. Their lineup is just too much better. IMO the only weak spot is Jimmy Williams.

That's what I like to believe. The Killer B's are deff doing there part!

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:50 pm

crip wrote:Cubs hitting average???? With Sammy, Aramis and Alou in the middle of the order? If Patterson could ever get jump started and with Barrett hitting very well at the bottom of the order I look for the Cubs to score lots of runs...When Sammy comes back

The cubs hitting is decidedly average. If it wasn't for their hitting, with a rotation like they have they would be 120 game winners. There is not one player in that lineup that has hit over .300 in the last 3 years.

Ramirez and Alou are the only plus .300 hitters this year but that won't continue. Alou's average has already fallen from .370 in the past month.

Their entire lineup is full of streaky hitters. God help them when they all slump at the same time which will happen. Their pitching carried them last year and all they have added to their offense is the anaemic Derek Lee this year.

If and when Sammy comes back he will continue his huge downward spiral the last few years and hit .260 tops.

They only score runs against pathetic pitching like Pittsburgh and Colorado and even the Pirates shut them down in Prior's season debut. Against decent pitching like the Astros they have scored just 10 runs in 5 games.

One very average hitting team.
Last edited by NZF on Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:53 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
crip wrote:Cubs hitting average???? With Sammy, Aramis and Alou in the middle of the order? If Patterson could ever get jump started and with Barrett hitting very well at the bottom of the order I look for the Cubs to score lots of runs...When Sammy comes back

The cubs hitting is decidedly average. If it wasn't for their hitting, with a rotation like they have they would be 120 game winners. There is not one player in that lineup that has hit over .300 in the last 3 years.

Ramirez and Alou are the only plus .300 hitters this year but that won't continue. Alou's average has already fallen from .370 in the past month.

Their entire lineup is full of streaky hitters. God help them when they all slump at the same time which will happen. Their pitching carried them last year and all they have added to their offense is the anaemic Derek Lee this year.

If and when Sammy comes back he will continue his huge downward spiral the last few years and hit .260 tops.

One very average hitting team.

Well said.

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DMXdawg » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:54 pm

Astros seem pretty strong right now-

Craig Biggio can still hit well, over 300.
Everett has got gold glove skills and has some speed
Bagwell is well, still the slugger we know :)
Jeff Kent, nuff said.
Berkman, nuff said.
Mike Lamb/Palmeiro/Hidalgo are question marks but they hit well for the most part.

Once Pettite comes back their pitching will be more than decent- especially with the HoF Clemens and the potential HoF astros ace Oswalt. Redding has been pitching well as of late, and Miller, eh, he's been struggle a bit lately but he'll come around.

However, Astros >Cubbies.
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby crip » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Actually you are dead wrong New Zealand fan...Check your stats and you'll see that Sammy Sosa has hit above.300 before and you will see that Alou's has hit above .300 many times and Aramis Ramirez currently is hitting right at .300...and before Patterson went down with his knee injury he was hitting .316 I believe...So yea there are .300 hitters on that team...with tons of Power
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers