NL Central - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Central

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NL Central

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:58 pm

Hey. What are your thoughts on the NL Central? I know they have vastly improved, but who do you think will end up on top? How do you think the second half is going to go? I personally am sort of dissapointed in my stros. It seems like we should have won more games by now. Sigh. Oh well.

Thoughts?

Jack
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crip » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:21 pm

I still like the Cub's chances with that ACE pitching staff...As soon as Wood gets back...LOOK OUT
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm

But I don't think the Cubbie lineup is as explosive as the Stros or Cards?

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:27 pm

CrazyPooja90 wrote:But I don't think the Cubbie lineup is as explosive as the Stros or Cards?

When it comes down to crunch time it's going to be the pitching that decides the division. But I think the Astros have a good enough staff to make a run at that division. I think the Cubs still have to be the favorites but I like the Astros chances better than the Cardinals. Despite the Reds hot start I don't believe they have much of a chance in that division.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:29 pm

If Hawkins is good in the closer role, and once Sammy and Wood come back, I think the Cubs are going to make a run. When it comes near the end of the season, pitching always beats hitting, and I don't think Clemens can keep this up all season at this age.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fantasyfanatic_fbc » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:33 pm

I still like the Cubs chances. Even with all the injuries, a struggling offense and closer, theyre still just 4 and a half out and just 1 back of the stros. When Sammy and Wood get back, watch out!
fantasyfanatic_fbc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:34 pm

What the stros have lacked thus far was a friggen hot streak! All other teams in the division has had one (the real reason the reds are temporaily first) but the stros havent won that many continuously. I know they have the talent and the players to potentially go far.

The Cubbies rotation at it's best and healthiest is extremely intimidating, however I think they lack the combination of hot batting and great pitching to end up on top.

The Cards are a wild card. They're playing the underdog which suits them fine. I wouldn't count them out quite yet, espiecally if Marquis, Carpender, and Suppan can continuosly pitch well.

The Bucs, Reds, and Brewers all have respectable teams but have holes too big to compete with the other three teams.

It should be a closeand interesting race.

Jack

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:34 pm

I think the Cubs will win it on the strength of their starting pitching but there won't be much in it because the cubbies hitting is so average. Astros will run them close as the best balanced team in that division and the Reds and Cards will not to very far away either with their excellent hitting lineups.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:38 pm

I say Astros or Reds...it's not all about pitching you know...ask the A's.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby crip » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:40 pm

Cubs hitting average???? With Sammy, Aramis and Alou in the middle of the order? If Patterson could ever get jump started and with Barrett hitting very well at the bottom of the order I look for the Cubs to score lots of runs...When Sammy comes back
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers