Does a batter's history against an SP matter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does a batter's history against an SP matter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:34 pm

Pedro wrote:More stathead propaganda. :-t

Yes and no. The stats on how a batter does versus a pitcher should be taken into consideration when you're deciding to start him, but you shouldn't buy into the stats too much
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:49 pm

Okay, let me ask you this.

You have Mike Hessman on the bench, and Barry Bonds on deck. Mike Hessman is 7/11 lifetime against said pitcher, while Barry is 2/12, who are you going to use?
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willieroe » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:52 pm

Pedro wrote:Okay, let me ask you this.

You have Mike Hessman on the bench, and Barry Bonds on deck. Mike Hessman is 7/11 lifetime against said pitcher, while Barry is 2/12, who are you going to use?

How do you know that Barry Bonds is better than Mike Hessman without using "stathead propaganda"? :-D
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedro » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:53 pm

willieroe wrote:

How do you know that Barry Bonds is better than Mike Hessman without using "stathead propaganda"? :-D

Common sense, there's a difference.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:53 pm

No I understand what your saying, and I agree, to an extent. It is just if your deciding betwen John Mabry and Ray Lankford (two of my all time favorite cards) on who to start in LF with Glavine pitching, and Mabry is 3/18 life time with 10 K's, and Lankford is 9/14 with a HR and a 5 ribeyes, who do you start? How the batter does versus a pitcher is just one stat of many to be taken account when deciding who to go with.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:54 pm

You kidding, Pedro?

The point is that stats such as these can help deciding who to start when there's a decision that needs to be made. Your example is ridiculous.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mild Thing » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:55 pm

Stupid argument. :-t Using a hitter's lifetime average against a pitcher is only one criteria. Obviously Bonds should start all times over Hessman. I look at this statistic if trying to decide between two roughly equivalent players. But it's not the only criteria. I also consider how hot the hitter is, how hot the pitcher is, etc..
Mild Thing
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pedro » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:01 am

Forget it, don't feel like getting into another argument.
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:47 am

Pedro wrote:Forget it, don't feel like getting into another argument.

You should forget it because it was a silly argument to begin with. We we referring to using BvP splits with "everything else being equal". Your Bonds/Hessman example doesn't fly becuase this is obviously not an equal situation. Please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedro » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pedro wrote:Forget it, don't feel like getting into another argument.

You should forget it because it was a silly argument to begin with. We we referring to using BvP splits with "everything else being equal". Your Bonds/Hessman example doesn't fly becuase this is obviously not an equal situation. Please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Hate to break the news to you buddy but you're the one who brought up the equal situation, and I sure as hell wasn't replying to you.

Now why don't you read the original topic and question.

Does a batter's history against an SP matter?

So does previous history matter at all?

I see no mention of equality. Do you buddy?

Please read more carefully before jumping to conclusions chief.
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers