Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Pujols alert

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:39 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:Ronald Reagan- Greatest President of the 20th century
Franklin Delano Roosevelt anyone?

Haha yeah, this isn't exactly the place (or the thread, sorry for changing the topic) for a politcal debate, but I must beg to differ on your claim that Reagan is the best president of the 20th century. I might even go as far to say he was one of the worse.

Imagine my surprise when I come in here for info on Pujos (I can't afford to lose him too long :-o ) And I find a political debate and an Astros lovefest!

1) Reagan was the greatest Roosevelt #2. Reasons? Reagan ended the cold war and defeated our greatest threat at the time. He brought our economy back from the brink of ruin under Carter (see: misery index). He re-instilled faith in America and the American military. He showed that reducing taxes increases revenue. Roosevelt guided our country through two of our greatest times of trial, the Great Depression and WWII. The reason I drop him below Reagan is his legacy of Big-Goverment that lives to this day.

2) Biggio will make the Hall but it won't be in the first few years. Bags has a way to go to prove he belongs. How many firstbasemen are there with his kind of stats? Fred Mcgriff will have a tough time even if he makes 500 homers. Berkman? too soon, he needs to show consistancy for quite a few more years.

3) Pujos? :~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zen Boy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:56 am

I'm worried about Pujols. . what's the story with hamstring injuries? They can linger right? Chipper has barely played all year thanks to one of those. But are some not as serious as others? Pujols is generally pretty tough when it comes to playing through injuries, right?

I have trade talks cooking with Pujols's owner so I'd love to get more thoughts on his story. ..
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:57 am

Honestly, I would stay away from him for now...unless it's just too good of a deal to pass up. His value just dropped quite a bit, because like you said, hamstring injuries linger. Luckily, Pujols doesn't really rely on his speed (like Jose Reyes), but then again neither does Chipper and look at his season.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:14 pm

wkelly91 wrote:He brought our economy back from the brink of ruin under Carter.

LOL. While he did make everyone feel warm and fuzzy when we needed it, he did also add something like $1.4 trillion in debt. Everything has a cost.

As for Biggio, I don't see how he gets in. Very good player for a long time and a great guy to have on the team but he was never even close to the best player of his era.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:02 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:He brought our economy back from the brink of ruin under Carter.

LOL. While he did make everyone feel warm and fuzzy when we needed it, he did also add something like $1.4 trillion in debt. Everything has a cost. Revenues went way up at the treasury but our spend happy congress (then controlled by the left) spent all the surplus and then some.

As for Biggio, I don't see how he gets in. Very good player for a long time and a great guy to have on the team but he was never even close to the best player of his era. I don't think he needs to be the best player of his era, since when has that stopped the Hall? Many average players who had very long careers and amassed great numbers have made it. There are other certain intangibles that arn't in the stats that will help some players. Besides he has played catcher and secondbase, two weak positions in which you don't need stellar stats to make it.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:38 pm

1> Pujols might be headed to the DL, I'm not entirely sure
2. Regan was a horrible president. Besides doubling and almost tripling the debt, he also invaded Lebanon and Genada which was silly. He claimed he knew nothing of the Iran Contra but that is extremely suspicious. He had huge tax cuts for the rich, which he said would trickle down and help the econemy, but what really ended up happening was the rich got richer and the middle class and poor got poorer. He opposed several civil right bills. There was more violence and crime under his presidency.

FDR However (along with Abe Lincoln) was one of the best.

3. If Biggio maintains this pace for the rest of the season, and maybe a few season after that. And he makes a few more milestones (he already hit 2500 hits this year, and he is climbing up the career doubles list. Also, if he gets an all star nod, which is hard cause he's going up against a hot Griffey, then that is 3 differerent positions as an All Star) then I'd like to believe they'd let him in.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:20 pm

1. They will probably sit Pujols for the series and if he still isn't well they'll put him on the DL retroactively.

2. Just to put out a few interesting facts on Reagan's economic policies:
-Unemployment was 7.5% when he took office, it was 5.5% when he left.
-Inflation rate was 12% when he took office, it was 4.5% when he left.
-Median household income was $36k when he took office, it was $40k when he left.
-Defense spending was $310 billion when he took office, it was $430 billion when he left.
-Budget deficit was 2.5% of GDP when he took office, it was 3% when he left.

Reagan certainly did spend a lot of money on defense and increased the deficit as a result but by doing so he accelerated the end of the cold war. This allowed the US to later decrease the defense budget in the 1990's when it went back down to $300 billion. He has also cut excess government spending and regulation that in a push that still reverberates today. I'm not a die-hard republican but I wanted to clarify some issues that left-wing democrats like to raise.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:40 am

Dr. Doom:

Thanks for the clarification. There are many out there who have been fed the revisionist history without facts in their high schools and colleges. If only people would look objectively at facts they might learn something.

And then there are those who no matter how much information is available they won't accept it due to their ideological outlook. :,-(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:51 am

IMHO, all politicians do good and bad. As long as there is more good than bad, then ;-D. I wouldn't be happy if I was on the median line and I made $36K 1 year and then 8 years later, only made $4K more. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:54 am

This hagiography of Reagan really has to stop.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers