Those who played FB 10+ years ago - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Those who played FB 10+ years ago

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BeSquare » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:10 am

I started this craziness in 1988, and at that time, did all the stats by hand, reading boxscores each day and recording the same. Once a week, I would prepare a report for all the owners. I even took all my records on vacation with me, as my kids remind me to this day! Anyway, it was a big deal when there became a stats service you could pay to do all the work (and our league could finally afford it).
A bad three minutes at the auction can cost you three months worth of research!
BeSquare
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpringWater » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:53 am

I have always wondered if there was a website that had player rankings of previous years. Would be interesting to see what some of the best fansasy years ever were.
SpringWater
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:49 am

mikey wrote:My question is how did you all follow your teams before Al Gore invented the Internet?

LMAO :-b :-b :-b :~(
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:37 pm

He was never a top pick in our league, the highest he ever went was our first year in 1991 at pick 9. He had a few years after that where he would break the lower part of round 2. There were just sooooooo many players that stole 50+ those years he wasn't that amazing of a commodity (definitely the highest of the stealers though). Grissom, Nixon, Bonds, Alomar, Raines, Polonia, Lofton, Brady Anderson, Biggio just to name a few.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Sunspot » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:47 pm

SpringWater wrote:I have always wondered if there was a website that had player rankings of previous years. Would be interesting to see what some of the best fansasy years ever were.

Yea, that would be really interesting to see, what about an all retro fantasy league, like where you draft only players from the 80's then you have a mock season play out, not what there actual stats were, but with some kind of formula...OK, I just totally confused myself...does anyone understand what I am trying to say?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:52 pm

There are some sim leagues out there that let you draft historical teams. I'm about halfway through writing my own concotion, if you google around some there should be a few different options.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:03 pm

SpringWater wrote:I have always wondered if there was a website that had player rankings of previous years. Would be interesting to see what some of the best fansasy years ever were.

Players with the best years I've ever had on my team were Bond's 40-40 year (I didn't get A-Rod in his year), Brady Anderson's 50 HR year (10th round pick!), Juan Gone's 45-157 year and Sosa's 66 HR year.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jaronson » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:25 pm

Another advantage to having the internet is that it sort of levels the playing field as far as access to information goes.

Back in the 90s(I just figured out I have been playing since '92), I used to pride myself on drafting a player that makes other owners say "Who?" I remember that happened when I drafted John Wetteland and Mike Mussina (but also with Sam Militello).

Nowadays everybody knows (or at least can find out) about the phenoms and up-and-comers.
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers