Those who played FB 10+ years ago - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Those who played FB 10+ years ago

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Those who played FB 10+ years ago

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:06 pm

I was wondering what was the average drafting position of Ricky Henderson when he stole 100+ bases? Was he always the #1 pick?
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:27 pm

I remember this discussion and I believe that he was #1 in most and Top 2-3 in the rest.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby twentysix » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:57 pm

Well, you couldn't have picked a worse time frame since 1994 was Rickey's lowest SB total of any year he played (besides these last couple of years when he's not really been on a team for long). He had 22 that year. ;-)

20 years ago is more like it. When I was 6. I was only doing Fantasy Football then, most baseball games were on past my bedtime. :-D
Yanks in '08!
twentysix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:33 pm

My question is how did you all follow your teams before Al Gore invented the Internet?
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:37 pm

mikey wrote:My question is how did you all follow your teams before Al Gore invented the Internet?

LOL :-b
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

In Olden Times...

Postby jaronson » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:14 pm

I started playing Fantasy Baseball in 1993 and I don't think Rickey Henderson was a top pick at that time. He was on the downhill side of his career. Like someone said above, his 100+ SB years were in the early 80s(1982: 130 SB, but batted a paltry .267!) I think Rotisserie was in its infancy then.

I remember Ken Griffey, Jr. was the top pick in the early 90s, Bagwell, Bonds(of course), Frank Thomas and Pitchers, Maddux, Clemens, David Cone, etc.

Back before the internet, there was (and I think there still is) a company called Stats, Inc. that compiled all the stats (of course). Then you hired a company that did the stats for your league. They would get them from Stats, Inc and compile them for your League and they would send you a weekly report. You did your transactions weekly. The Commissioner would take all the transactions for the week and CALL them into the stat service. I used to pour over the sports section every morning and read box scores. I used to bartend with some of the guys in my League and right after last call we turned on Sports Center to catch all the scores and such. Those were the days. X-I
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:17 pm

that woulda been way too much work for me. thank god for al gore and his internet!
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: In Olden Times...

Postby nsulham » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:18 pm

jaronson wrote:Back before the internet, there was (and I think there still is) a company called Stats, Inc. that compiled all the stats (of course). Then you hired a company that did the stats for your league. They would get them from Stats, Inc and compile them for your League and they would send you a weekly report. You did your transactions weekly. The Commissioner would take all the transactions for the week and CALL them into the stat service. I used to pour over the sports section every morning and read box scores. I used to bartend with some of the guys in my League and right after last call we turned on Sports Center to catch all the scores and such. Those were the days. X-I

There was a time before the internet? 8-o

What is this time you speak of? ;-)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby crapshooter » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:32 pm

I paid $50 for Ricky Henderson in his prime and he was well worth it. Before the internet you kept up by reading box scores every morning. And once a week the USA today had the whole weeks stats so you could enter them manually into computer program. IT was a lot of work!
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:58 pm

Yep, Rickey was always a top five pick back in the old days. But not since '94 as far as I can remember.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers