Jose Reyes?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:35 am

Lofunzo wrote:Then let me put it this way.......The Mets will remember the day that they turned down Reyes for Soriano and not in a good way. :-°

I don't remember there being any truth to that rumor at all. In any case I don't think they would regret such a deal. I think Reyes will eventually come back strong in the future. He is about 7-8 years younger and won't cost the mets nearly as much money.

Was the rumor a straight up deal anyways? I thought it included a prospect.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:50 am

It was a straight up deal that Texas wanted to do. I know that Reyes is younger but they are both still young and Soriano is a stud. Reyes might be a stud. He can be a nice player but I think that he is grossly overhyped.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:12 am

If it was a straight up deal, maybe. But they would of had to take on his contract most likely, and to a team that has had such disappointments as Mo Vaughn and Alomar it could be a big decision. Aren't they still paying Mo too? I think they also know they won't be a contender, even if they do add Soriano as there pitching staff is not very good. Soriano also came off a big slump at the end of the year and by my standards isn't playing that well this year (most of his numbers are down across the board). Switch around runs and rbi's and i think most would say Reyes could have those stats if he was playing (maybe less hr's, but more sb's).

I know what your thinking, those are some small reasons. Just trying to say as a manager it isn't as easy as saying Soriano is better then Reyes. It goes beyond that and money is a big deal. Just look how most teams hold onto their prospects though they could trade them for a real good player. Fantasy GM and a real GM aren't that similiar when it comes to trading.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronsonPinchot » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:07 am

Immediately drop Reyes. He's totally worthless.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:42 am

Whether or not Reyes for Soriano would have been a good move, don't forget the Soriano did not want to play for the Mets. The last thing the Mets need is a player who doesn't want to play for them.

Soriano is a great fantasy player but this doesn't neccesarily translate to greatness IRL. Soriano would be become a .280/20/85 player at Shea stadium. Except for freaks of nature like Rickey, SB threats are short-lived and Soriano is in his prime now. Lastly he is defensive liability especially considering they wanted to move him to RF.

If Reyes never plays another game perhaps it was a bad decision to turn this trade down. But considering that the Mets are building for the near future it was the right decision. In February nobody expected the Mets (except for Mets fans) to be playing .500 ball and "meaningful games" in June.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:45 am

Actually, Soriano has worked very hard on his defense (might explain his lack of offense), but he is now viewed as one of the better defensive 2B in the league. It might sound crazy, but I've watched a lot of Ranger games, and I'm a believer...he has unbelievable range due to his quickness.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers