Jose Reyes?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:52 pm

I agree that he has very good potential but what has he ever done to say that he will explode in all categories?? If you expect any power numbers from him, you are gravely mistaken.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

sdgr

Postby JOEG » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I agree that he has very good potential but what has he ever done to say that he will explode in all categories?? If you expect any power numbers from him, you are gravely mistaken.

He will hit several homers - which is allready ok for a 2B - he swings real hard and forsee him as a 20 guy real soon (in a full year) - call me stupid but that's my opinion

I remember people were saying Soriano had barely any power when he got drafted... ooops
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: sdgr

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:45 pm

JOEG wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I agree that he has very good potential but what has he ever done to say that he will explode in all categories?? If you expect any power numbers from him, you are gravely mistaken.

He will hit several homers - which is allready ok for a 2B - he swings real hard and forsee him as a 20 guy real soon (in a full year) - call me stupid but that's my opinion

I remember people were saying Soriano had barely any power when he got drafted... ooops

Soriano wasn't drafted and he had more than double Reyes' HR totals in the minors in the same # of games.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:00 pm

Soriano played in Hiroshima several years before he came to the minor leagues in the states. Reyes definitely has the potential to become a five-tool player. He'll never be a power hitter but as he matures he'll hit 20-25 HRs a year IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

fsa

Postby JOEG » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:01 pm

Wow, didn't know he wasn't drafted.....

I always thought Yankee fans argument to the buying titles thing was they drafted and raised a bulk of their talent including Jeter, Pettie, and Soriano

I guess Soriano just goes on the buying title list instead

PS - amounts of homers mean very very little in the minors.....
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:17 pm

I don't think you can bash the Yankees for buying talent in terms of Soriano. He played in Japan originally and the Yankees scouts did a good job of spotting the potential and signing him to a minor league contract. They originally got Soriano for chump change and even a small market team with good scouts could have pulled that off. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

af

Postby JOEG » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't think you can bash the Yankees for buying talent in terms of Soriano. He played in Japan originally and the Yankees scouts did a good job of spotting the potential and signing him to a minor league contract. They originally got Soriano for chump change and even a small market team with good scouts could have pulled that off. ;-)

yeah I'm probably just jealous - our huge 2B prospect was Luis Rivas!!!!! :-o

We are so desperate we are moving Cuddyer there - oh is he scary
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: fsa

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:42 am

JOEG wrote:Wow, didn't know he wasn't drafted.....

I always thought Yankee fans argument to the buying titles thing was they drafted and raised a bulk of their talent including Jeter, Pettie, and Soriano

I guess Soriano just goes on the buying title list instead

PS - amounts of homers mean very very little in the minors.....

He was an undrafted free agent. If that means buying players to you, then so be it. I also question how you can say that homers in the minors mean nothing but then you say that Soriano had barely any power when he was drafted. Kinda contradictory. If it doesn't matter, then why make the statement??
Lofunzo

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 am

He was trying to compare that players can grow into power, as Soriano did. Thus, Reyes could eventually grow into hitting for more power to. Power is usually the last tool to develope for prospects, which is why he said hr's don't mean as much in the minors.

Also I'm not saying Reyes will have the power Soriano does, cause for one his swing isn't really a hr swing. But you really can't compare Soriano's and Reyes minor league stats. Reyes played in the minors at the ages from 17-19, and made it to the bigs right around his 20th birth day. Soriano on the other hand played in the minors at the ages of 23-24. Pretty big difference.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:29 am

Then let me put it this way.......The Mets will remember the day that they turned down Reyes for Soriano and not in a good way. :-°
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers