Joe Morgan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Morgan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:59 pm

I actually met Joe Morgan. He spoke at Larry (Doby)'s funeral, and he was actually quite a charming man.

Moving on to his views on statistics: He's a total idiot when it comes to that. Maybe if he realized that Bill James actually has him as the #1 2B of all time, he'd change his mind...

The sad thing about Joe Morgan is that he's the exact kind of player that Billy Beane would want. He always drew a TON of walks (career 1883/1046 BB/K) and he had a VERY strong SB% (689/162). He is the coveted player of the man he despises. He believes in all that old stuff- bunting the hitter ahead, hitting the cutoff, having strong fielding, etc. Meanwhile, he was doing exactly what Bill James & Beane want him to do: Take walks.

Anyone else find that strange?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:04 pm

I find it more strange that Beane supposedly has this superior idea of what offensive players to get, yet his offense his terrible. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DK » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:22 pm

hybrid wrote:I find it more strange that Beane supposedly has this superior idea of what offensive players to get, yet his offense his terrible. :-b

Well, people underestimate that offense. It's not last in the majors, I believe it's 22nd as of now... Still not very good, but a far cry from sucky.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Elohim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:46 pm

rlee wrote:I love watching Sunday Night Baseball because of him. He knows the game so thoroughly and gives insights that no one else does. I think he's the best color commentator in baseball today. ;-D

agreed. I really like his voice as well: it's very soothing to listen to while drinking a cold beer on a warm Sunday evening. ;-D

I can't believe someone could actually hate on the Morgan/ Jon Miller duo...blasphemy, that person probably likes the Braves announcers. :-t
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sammyfan711 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:35 pm

hybrid wrote:I find it more strange that Beane supposedly has this superior idea of what offensive players to get, yet his offense his terrible. :-b

The Oakland offense is terrible this year but his ideas allow him to attain undervalued players and compete on a meager budget. If Beane did take the BoSox job we would have a better idea of what his superior ideas could do when paired with a big-league payroll.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thaklanksta » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:50 pm

I like little Joe. I think his comment on the SB is dead on.

I've been at games where Pierre is on 1st leaning, edging and the pitcher throws over 4 or 5 times. That has to drive a pitcher crazy.
Then with his mind solely on Pierre he threads a meat pitch over the plate or throws one that bounces in the dirt.

The reason is loss of concentration because he is worried about the speed of Pierre.

Joe Morgan the baseball player: ;-D
Joe Morgan the color man : ;-D
Joe Morgan the talker: needs some work
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:04 am

I hate when Joe Morgan is doing games. Every game he finds a way to rant on Moneyball issues, the stolen base, taking pitchings, working the count, etc.

This is the man who has said several times that Billy Beane wrote Money Ball.

The Red Sox-Angels game that he did the other night drove me nuts. When Kotchman was hitting so many fouls of Pedro, Morgan said something to the effect of "this is a case when a manager wants him to walk the batter so he can move on and keep his pitch count low..." WHAT? So, you walk a guy with two strikes, to try and get the next guy out?

He drives me absolutely nuts.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:39 am

For the record, I hate the Braves announcers even more than Miller and Morgan.

And there's nothing wrong with Miller's voice. It's nice, it's soothing. Sooooothhing. Yes, it's sets me at ease. *Yawn* Relaxes me... *Yawn*

....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:55 am

thaklanksta wrote:The reason is loss of concentration because he is worried about the speed of Pierre.

How do you know this? This is a logical fallacy, Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Essentially, you're saying that because Pierre was about to steal a base, and the next pitch was bad, that Pierre caused the bad pitch.

Just because A happened before B doesn't mean A caused B. For example, the fuel light went on in my car, then my car ran out of gas. Thus, the fuel light caused my car to run out of gas. :-o

There is no way to prove the effect of the possibility of an SB on a pitcher. That's what us stats people say when this is brought up.

SBs don't help you score runs, though, that's clear.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:17 am

Baseball is SO much more than just stats. I understand that stats are an important reference, but people shouldn't JUST use stats. I personally believe that every situation is unique, and that past stats can't determine what will most likely happen. Just b/c someone is hitting .300 with RISP, doesn't mean that he has a 3-10 chance of getting a hit in the upcoming bat. I guess what I'm trying to say is that stats are good for past reference, but should not be used to determine the outcome of a future situation.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers