wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:41 pm

Longhorns76 wrote:
Mark86 wrote:
Pedro wrote:Homer time...

Pedro could of killed Zimmer. Who rushed who again? Zimmer is lucky all he got was a little shove to the ground. Very lucky.

You are right about Zimmer rushing Pedro. Zimmer aplogized for rushing Pedro. I don't think Pedro should have thrown Zimmer to the ground like that though.

What was Pedro supposed to do? 1) Run away? 2) Stand there and let Zimmer get some punches in until someone stopped him? 3) Shove him to the side and just let it be over?

You know how you put your hand on some little kids forehead and he's flailing away trying to punch you but can't reach? That's what I picture Pedro doing to Zim :-b
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Crazy!

Postby blankman » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Kwaziwampo wrote:Everett didn't spit on an umpire, he head butted him with the brim of his helmet. Brilliant move. Here are some quotes for my vote for craziest player...at least of this era. I'd have to go with Cobb all time.

Interleague play? "Don't like it," Everett responds. "They only have it because of two teams [the New York Mets and the New York Yankees]. It's all about the money." Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter? "Not a star." The Mets, one of his former teams? "All those [management] people are hypocrites and idiots." The Atlanta Braves' starting pitchers? "You can run on them all day." Big cities? "Hate 'em. I need space." American League baseball? "Boring." Dinosaurs? "Didn't exist."

Uh, come again?

"God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve," Everett said last Friday, before the Red Sox lost two of three in Atlanta. "The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can't say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Someone actually saw Adam and Eve. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus rex."

What about dinosaur bones?

"Made by man," he says.

Everett has trouble, too, with the idea of man actually walking on the moon. After first rejecting the notion, he concedes, "Yeah, that could have happened. It's possible. That is something you could prove. You can't prove dinosaurs ever existed. I feel it's far-fetched."

Wow. 8-o I had no idea he was so stupid. Dinosaurs didn't exist. sure buddy.

If he says Derek Jeter is not a star, what does that make him?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:49 pm

I do remember hearing Everett say he did think that Derek Jeter was the most "CLUTCH" hitter in baseball.

;-D
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)

Postby zepfan » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:42 pm

Los Angeles Cubs wrote:
frog99 wrote:Carl Everette! By far, not a question in my mind. not only did he spit in an Umpire's face. But he was arrested for beating his children, doesn't believe men walked on the moon, and thinks Dinosaurs are a myth. This guys is the biggest wack-o ever.

I remember when he gave a pitcher the finger while he was rounding the bases after hitting a home run.

Yep. I also remember after he hit a homer off some pitcher a few years ago. He stopped and home plate and very deliberately bent over so he could "tie his shoe", while giving the pitcher a good look at his arse. Classy.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:22 am

My vote goes to 70's Orioles manger Earl Weaver....managed the Baltimore Orioles to 6 Eastern Division titles, four AL pennants and a World Series victory in 1970; was ejected 91 times and suspended four times for outbursts against umpires

Lots of the people mentioned blew up because of a bad call, hit by a pitch, etc, but Earl was a calculating devil.

I highly recommend searching his name in KaZaa/Napster/whatever you use. "Managers' Corner with Earl Weaver" MAY.......MAY.......rank as the funniest thing you'll ever hear.

Earl Weaver loses his cool on "Manager's Corner"
(date and circumstances unknown)

Announcer: (A fan) from Frederick, Maryland, wants to know why you don't go out and get some more team speed.

Weaver: Team speed, for Chrissake, you get f------ goddam little fleas on the bases getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you. You get them big c---s------ who can hit the f------ ball out of the f------ ballpark and you can't make any goddam mistakes.

Announcer: Well, certainly this show's going to go down in history, Earl. Terry Elliott of Washington, D.C., wants to know why you don't use Terry Crowley as a designated hitter all the .

Weaver: Terry Crowley is lucky he's in f------ baseball , for Chrissake. He was released by the Cincinnati Reds, he was released by the f------ goddam Atlanta Braves. We saw that Terry Crowley could sit on his f------ ass for innings and enjoy watching a game just like any other fan, and has the ability to get up there and break one open in the f------ ninth. So if this c---s------ would mind his own business and let me manage the f------- team we'd be a lot better off.

Announcer: Well , certainly you've made your opinions known on the fans' questions about , Earl, but let's get to something else. Alice Sweet from Norfolk wants to know the best to put in a tomato plant.

Weaver: Alice Sweet oughta be worried about where the f--- her next lay is coming from rather than where her next goddam tomato plant is coming from. If she'd get her ass out of the f------ bars at night and go hustling around the streets she might get a p---- stuck in her once in a while. I don't understand where these questions are coming from. That's about it from manager's corner. Go f--- yourself and the f--- with your show coming up next on the Baltimore Oriole f------ network.

"You can't just sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other team a chance." -Earl Weaver

"I'd rather you walk with the bases loaded." -Earl Weaver, after Pat Kelly told Weaver to "walk with the Lord"

"He's about 3'1". I tell him to get his nose off my kneecap." -Ron Luciano, on Earl Weaver

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:38 am

How about Pascual Perez, the Expos pitcher.

Loved his pick-off throw...through the legs!

Saw a lot of his games when he pitched, he was a little wacky.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Dice » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:17 am

Bill Lee is STILL certifiably insane. I'm a Red Sox fan, but he should be in an institution.

He recently wrote a novel of sorts, in which the Red Sox beat out the Yankees in 1978 and won the World Series. He was invited as a guest on a Sox game radio broadcast. The dialogue between him and straight-laced Joe Castiglione went something like this:

Lee: "...and Bucky Dent went on to become a g ay hairdresser in San Francisco! Hah hah."

Joe: "Strike called."

Lee: "And Catfish Hunter had a sex change operation. And-"

Joe: (Trying desperately to change subject) "The batter asks for a new baseball. The umpire obliges."

Lee: "Oh, and Don Zimmer-"

And so on.

BTW, one of the best manager rants of all time is on the web. Lee Elia's full "Cub fans can kiss my azz" rant is just beautiful in the sheer venom and endurance. The link to the sound version is at the bottom of the page.

http://quote.webcircle.com/cgi-bin/feat ... dFeature=4
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bjm97 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:03 pm

As a Mets fan I remember watching Bobby V a few years ago get tossed from a game and return with a moustache and hat as a disguise. He was always a little excentric. What about Rocket- probably one of the best pitchers ever- tossing a bat at Piazza?!? It should be interesting to watch those two as battery mates at the All-Star game.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SuperHippo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:41 pm

Anyone remember last year when a Red's player (I think it was Kearns) was tackled by the Cubs (I think) catcher half his size?

Bill Lee is definatly still crazy, my dad plays senior league baseball against him a couple times a year.
SuperHippo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers