No love for Randy Wolf. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No love for Randy Wolf.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:14 am

RynMan wrote:GSes, once again i find myself agreeing with you. Wolf is legit, and he hasnt even peaked yet. I think he is a definite top 20 pitcher. I also rate Padilla fairly highly too. I would rather have him than Milwood personally. Would you believe a guy in my league dropped wolf during his consecutive scoreless innings streak?!?! another guy jus dropped Wade Miller. So if i am able to get Miller off waiver, here is my pitching staff:

Wood
Oswalt
Pineiro
Halladay (got thru trade)
Wolf (off waivers)
O. Perez (off waivers)
Miller (off waivers)

Needless to say im winning K's. But yeah, Wolf rocks. ;-D

SOMEONE DROPPED MILLER?

Miller is 2nd on my list of most underrated pitchers. I have Wolf & Miller on most of my teams. I ranked both right around #19 and #20 in the preseason and Im VERY HIGH on both. Both are 27 years old and have great stuff and can ring them up.

Why anyone would drop Wolf or Miller boggles my mind. These 2 guys while not staff ace's, are the next tier and could put it all together one day to step up into the next tear.

Do you guys just not look at the stats, how is it you don;t like Wolf?

Wolf:

2001:
10 wins
152 K's/162IP
3.70 ERA
1.22 WHIP

2002:
11 Wins
172 K's/210IP
3.21 ERA
1.12 WHIP
(you can argue that NO one was better then Wolf after the 2002 all star break)

2003:
16 Wins
177K's/200IP
4.23 ERA
1.27 WHIP

(The bloated ERA is because of a horrible August/September and I said earlier there was obviously something wrong with him

On August 14, 2003 Wolf was
12-7
3.46 ERA

then he was absolutely dreadfful for the final month and a half which bloated his ERA.

You don't pitch through August w/ a 3.46 ERA if you are not legit ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:19 am

I agree to a point GSes...but don't forget the ballpark factor. If you had Wolf slated for a x.x GPA, I'd say you should add about 0.2 points to the estimate due to the ballpark.

I just traded Millwood away for similar reasons...but yeah I like Wolf better.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:54 am

56-51, 4.02 lifetime numbers. He's never had a "put it all together" season. Has always been a bit streaky...looks for all the world like a star for a month or six weeks, and then goes the other way.

Maybe this is his year to break all the way through, as his ceiling has always been considered pretty high. The view fron here is that he's an okay #2 starter, but isn't ace material. The fact that he likely is the best Philly starter doesn't mean he is in that top echelon overall.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby G-Man » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:03 am

he annihilated his 2003 season numbers with a couple of horrific outings in the 2nd half of the season, but other than that I have owned him the last 3 seasons and am always happy with the results. decent #2, great #3 SP for any fantasy staff.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jpbusta » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:34 am

thehat wrote:56-51, 4.02 lifetime numbers. He's never had a "put it all together" season. Has always been a bit streaky...looks for all the world like a star for a month or six weeks, and then goes the other way.

Maybe this is his year to break all the way through, as his ceiling has always been considered pretty high. The view fron here is that he's an okay #2 starter, but isn't ace material. The fact that he likely is the best Philly starter doesn't mean he is in that top echelon overall.

My exact point of view on wolf too.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:10 am

Just look at his splits once.

2003 - 4.79 ERA on road, 3.63 at home
2002 - 3.32 ERA on road, 3.05 at home
2001 - 3.95 ERA on road, 3.30 at home

Now that home is a hitters park instead of a pitchers park I'd expect those home era's to climb towards the road ERA's. Not that wolf is a bad pitcher as I said, and not that he won't put up good numbers. But if you can sell him as a 2.90 ERA/1.15 WHIP type pitcher I think you are getting your money's worth for sure. He won't have better than those numbers, though obviously his wins will go up.
Last edited by Ender on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby tmoney » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:44 am

I think he is not getting any love here because he only has 2 wins, which is very deceptive. If he had run support and had 5 or 6 wins, people would be praising the guy. Now that the runs are coming from the Philly bats, I think he will only improve.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby afromangettindrunk » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:01 am

i agree with Gses completely. wolf AND miller are two guys i ranked fairly high at the beginning of the season and wound up with them in the latter rounds of many of my drafts. most people overlook them and they are tremendously underrated. i still have both on a few of my teams and im liking how wolfs been throwin. now if only he could snag a few wins soon ;-D
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby XTSilver » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:22 pm

Is Miller really that underrated? A career 3.93 ERA with 1.31 Whip averaging around 160ks and 15 Ws for a full season? Good numbers, but who says Miller isn't good? Great numbers? No. So if you are making a case that he is a great pitcher I would have to disagree. Just this year he has two 7IP shut outs but three games where he didn't go more than 6 and he let up four or more. Two of those were his last two starts where he had a 9 ERA and 2 or above Whip. So overall good numbers but one of those pitchers who could kill your weekly stats. (i.e. Dtrain) Obviously he is young and has upside, but it's not like he's showing any signs of breakout this year.
Last edited by XTSilver on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ironman » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:28 pm

Wolf will fade in the second half once again. If he has a awesome June I'd consider trading him come July.

Someone will have to retrieve this thread in September to see who was right about him.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers