No love for Randy Wolf. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No love for Randy Wolf.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No love for Randy Wolf.

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:33 pm

Just realized the guy has an ERA under 3, it's just he hasn't been gettin the run support. Nobody has been giving this guy any love, most folks are down on him. 41 K's aren't hurting either.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:38 pm

i am sure i recall at least a couple of posts in the cafe calling him the ace of the philly staff....
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:39 pm

matmat wrote:i am sure i recall at least a couple of posts in the cafe calling him the ace of the philly staff....

Hmmm, must've missed them.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Re: No love for Randy Wolf.

Postby GSes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:43 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Just realized the guy has an ERA under 3, it's just he hasn't been gettin the run support. Nobody has been giving this guy any love, most folks are down on him. 41 K's aren't hurting either.

Ive said it over and over and over again here at the cafe and to the rest of the world. There is no more underrated pitcher then Randy Wolf. Wolf is a great pitcher, he often gets categorized into the lower tier section of pitchers such as Padilla, Traschel, Sabathia, Piniero, etc.

Wolf is way above those guys, he is the best pitcher on the phillies staff, he is better then Millwood and he was on his way to competing for a cy young last year and was an all star, however in the last few months of 2003 something happened to Wolf and he was not the same pitcher. Many thought he was possibly hiding an injury, however he was so bad and so not himself that it was obvious something was wrong. Coming into 2004, I had Wolf ranked in my TOP 20 starting pitchers, I still feel he is a top 20 pitcher right around #19 or so. Wolf is so underrated it makes me sad b/c he is one of my top 5 favorite players.

Randy is easily capable of
17 Wins
3.40 ERA
1.15 Whip
170 K's

So far this year he has had LITTLE to no run support. Something like 4.4 runs o support per game and has had the bullpen blow a few games for him as well. How anyone can be 2-3 w/ a 2.90 ERA on that loaded Philly team is mind boggoling.

Wolf is a guy you should trade for right now, his low win total makes him a great buy low canidate and you will reap the beifets b/c Wolf is a legit #3 fantasy starter. ;-D ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:48 pm

Sell high on Wolf, I just did. Not because he's a bad pitcher, he's in a bad park. When the summer months roll around he's gonna start giving up a lot of dingers at home and that ERA will climb high.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby GSes » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:00 am

Ender wrote:Sell high on Wolf, I just did. Not because he's a bad pitcher, he's in a bad park. When the summer months roll around he's gonna start giving up a lot of dingers at home and that ERA will climb high.

ya and sell high on Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Clement, and Maddux also because once summer comes hitters are gonna be knocking the balls out of hitter friendly Wrigley field.

wait.............not

lol
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ziggy Zoggy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:30 am

Listen to Ender. I couldn't agree more. Most will disagree and that's ok. Let's see what his #'s are in September. He's a decent pitcher. His good outings will be eclipsed by the ugly ones.
"Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man."
Ziggy Zoggy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GSes » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:33 am

Ziggy Zoggy wrote:Listen to Ender. I couldn't agree more. Most will disagree and that's ok. Let's see what his #'s are in September. He's a decent pitcher. His good outings will be eclipsed by the ugly ones.

you guys are classick examples. you call him a decent pitcher, when he is really the ace of the philly staff.........this guy is top 20.

but ppl like u2, its ok, a lot of ppl will agree with you guys call him just decent,

he is anything but decent.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:46 am

GSes, once again i find myself agreeing with you. Wolf is legit, and he hasnt even peaked yet. I think he is a definite top 20 pitcher. I also rate Padilla fairly highly too. I would rather have him than Milwood personally. Would you believe a guy in my league dropped wolf during his consecutive scoreless innings streak?!?! another guy jus dropped Wade Miller. So if i am able to get Miller off waiver, here is my pitching staff:

Wood
Oswalt
Pineiro
Halladay (got thru trade)
Wolf (off waivers)
O. Perez (off waivers)
Miller (off waivers)

Needless to say im winning K's. But yeah, Wolf rocks. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ziggy Zoggy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:52 am

That's fine. I expected that kind of response. I'd take Millwood over Wolf. I've got nothing against Wolf, but I don't see him winning 20 like you'd see from a typical staff ace. Wolf is a good pitcher and potentially could be ranked in the top 20 in the league. He's just not consistent enough for me to consider him an ace. But it's safe to say he's about as consisitent as Millwood. I guess that means I'm not crazy about Philly's SP's.
"Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man."
Ziggy Zoggy
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers