Chukwuemeka Okafor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Chukwuemeka Okafor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:00 pm

proncis wrote:I think Okafor will be a solid pro, but my money is on Luol Deng for being a superstar.

From what I've read on the kid, he sounds like he has a really good head on his shoulders, and he just killed any opponent that tried to cover him.

Also, his senior year in high school the only other senior better than him was Lebron James.

Scouts also say that Deng has a very small chance at being a superstar, but should be a good pro.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:47 pm

The thing about Okafor is not just that he's smart- he's brilliant. Rarely does someone graduate in three years, much less a fantastic athlete. He's been blessed with skill, intelligence, and a will to succeed, and I see no reason why he won't.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KPucks » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:01 pm

DK wrote:The thing about Okafor is not just that he's smart- he's brilliant. Rarely does someone graduate in three years, much less a fantastic athlete. He's been blessed with skill, intelligence, and a will to succeed, and I see no reason why he won't.

I agree that he will succeed, he just won't be a superstar. Having smarts doesn't mean you're going to be a star. He has solid overall skills and contribute right away, which makes him the #1 pick in this draft full of high schoolers and foreign big men.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:10 pm

KPucks wrote:
DK wrote:The thing about Okafor is not just that he's smart- he's brilliant. Rarely does someone graduate in three years, much less a fantastic athlete. He's been blessed with skill, intelligence, and a will to succeed, and I see no reason why he won't.

I agree that he will succeed, he just won't be a superstar. Having smarts doesn't mean you're going to be a star. He has solid overall skills and contribute right away, which makes him the #1 pick in this draft full of high schoolers and foreign big men.

But it does assure that you will at least not be another Allen Iverson or any other gangster in the NBA today. Guys who are intelligent and play the game right are the guys I love to play.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:59 pm

Some interesting rumors surrounding my boy Emeka are.....Orlando taking him 1st pick overall to have a Okafor-McGrady combo.

Or Lakers trading Shaq for the number 1 pick and drafting Emeka to have Emeka-Kobe while Orlando has Shaq-McGrady.

If Kobe resigns with LA then Phil Jackson is leaving he said. If Jackson leaves then Shaq says he's leaving. So basically it sounds like LA is losing either Kobe or Shaq and Jackson, in which this trade makes sense, to get a younger big man and start a new dominant combo of Emeka and Kobe. Not to mention the Glove and the Mailman.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KPucks » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:29 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:Some interesting rumors surrounding my boy Emeka are.....Orlando taking him 1st pick overall to have a Okafor-McGrady combo.

Or Lakers trading Shaq for the number 1 pick and drafting Emeka to have Emeka-Kobe while Orlando has Shaq-McGrady.

If Kobe resigns with LA then Phil Jackson is leaving he said. If Jackson leaves then Shaq says he's leaving. So basically it sounds like LA is losing either Kobe or Shaq and Jackson, in which this trade makes sense, to get a younger big man and start a new dominant combo of Emeka and Kobe. Not to mention the Glove and the Mailman.

The Lakers wouldn't trade Shaq for one player, even if it is the #1pick. If they trade Shaq, the most dominant player in the game, they will get a king's ransom in return.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:30 am

KPucks wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:Some interesting rumors surrounding my boy Emeka are.....Orlando taking him 1st pick overall to have a Okafor-McGrady combo.

The Lakers wouldn't trade Shaq for one player, even if it is the #1pick. If they trade Shaq, the most dominant player in the game, they will get a king's ransom in return.

I gotta agree with KPucks here. Okafor's no Shaq, after all, and they can get more for Shaq then just the #1 pick. However, he does have a 30M contract they're trying to shed.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KPucks » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:22 pm

DK wrote:
KPucks wrote:

I gotta agree with KPucks here. Okafor's no Shaq, after all, and they can get more for Shaq then just the #1 pick. However, he does have a 30M contract they're trying to shed.

From what I understand, even if they got rid of Shaq's contract, they would only be a few million under the cap, not nearly enough to sign an impact player. So the only thing bad about his contract is that it puts the team over the luxury tax.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:30 pm

The only reason that they would deal Shaq is because he doesn't get along with Kobe and Buss loves Kobe.

As for Okafor, there are a lot of similarities between him now and a raw Olajuwon when he first started playing. Then, he took off. I really don't see the same for Okafor. I think that he'll do well but not a superstar. There were a lot better college players who didn't amount to anything in the pros.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:00 pm

If the Lakers were smart, they'd dump Kobe, not Shaq. Without Shaq they're an ordinary team. If any team in the NBA had a center as good as him, I'm pretty sure they'd make the palyoffs, no matter how bad they were last year. He's that dominant. Kobe is just a SG with a bit of flare. It doens't matter how the ball goes in the net, whether you do a 360 double pump off the glass, or just shoot it. He doesn't impress me that much. I'd MUCH rather have AI.

As for Okafor: I think he'll be really good someday, and decent right off the bat.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk