WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:42 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
jacpasfb wrote:ERA: 3.82
WHIP:1.17
Record 5-3 (Behind the Sox's offensive juggernaut!)

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Going into this season, i have always thought of him as the best pitcher in baseball. But he sure isn't showing his form lately. Is he gonna turn it around or has something happened to this ace??

Opinions please.

I wish all my pitches were this 'bad'.

all your pitchers arent pedro martinez.......when you draft/keep him you expect a hell of a lot better than mediocre numbers that you can find from 10 guys on the waiver wire.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:55 pm

Common guys he´s not done either, he´ll gone down but he has as good a shot as anyone to win AL Cy Young and his numbers vs mediocre team he will be much better. Vs teams like the Yanks and Anaheim in wont always be ugly like this. Im betting next tie he faces Anaheim he has a quality start. Its just not automatic like before.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 pm

I'm not saying that he's done, either. I am saying that he is in for the hard truth if he thinks that he's still a $15+M pitcher.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby KULCAT » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I'm not saying that he's done, either. I am saying that he is in for the hard truth if he thinks that he's still a $15+M pitcher.

Id would agree with you but if the Yankees didnt exist :,-(
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:42 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Just imagine how GOOD pedro would of been w/o Vlad in the lineup. That's right....only 1 earned run.

What if we beemed him back to 1999??
What if he could pitch in colder weather??
What if he was heavier than 160 or so??
That's a lot of ifs.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be a holiday. :-D

Exactly. That's like saying if "I never struck out I'd bat .450, isn't that awesome!" It isn't that simple. Also, if the Angels didn't have Vlad, you don't think Guillen or somebody else batting 3rd would have cashed in some of those 10 or so batters that were on base when Vlad would have been up at bat?

I was being sarcastic too. If you read the post I responded to, it said "Can you imagine how bad his outing would have been with Glaus, Anderson, and Erstad in the line up, OUCH." Who knows if all those guys were there, maybe Pedro wouldn't of taken off a little on the weaker hitters, only to reach back when he really needed too.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rajin » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:34 pm

If you watch pedro pitch this year, his arm slot is much lower (below 3/4) which is presumably a compensation he made in order to not aggravate his torn rotator cuff. His capability for velocity isn't worse this year, in the angels game in the 5th he got into a runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out jam and got fired up. If you have MLB.tv or the game on tape, watch again and you'll see him readust his arm into a higher slot closer to what he used to throw with. His fastballs jumped to 93-94 with lots of movement and he mowed down the next three batter to get out of the inning.

If you throw with a lower arm slot, your breaking balls really suffer and the movement becomes more left-right than up-down. Every pitch that Vlad hammered off him during that game was a curveball that didn't move enough.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:43 pm

Rajin wrote:If you watch pedro pitch this year, his arm slot is much lower (below 3/4) which is presumably a compensation he made in order to not aggravate his torn rotator cuff. His capability for velocity isn't worse this year, in the angels game in the 5th he got into a runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out jam and got fired up. If you have MLB.tv or the game on tape, watch again and you'll see him readust his arm into a higher slot closer to what he used to throw with. His fastballs jumped to 93-94 with lots of movement and he mowed down the next three batter to get out of the inning.

If you throw with a lower arm slot, your breaking balls really suffer and the movement becomes more left-right than up-down. Every pitch that Vlad hammered off him during that game was a curveball that didn't move enough.

I didn't notice this. Next game, I'll try to look for it. ;-D
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Hasn't Pedro had this rotator cuff tear for a few years now? He has pitched very well through it, why has he dropped his arm angle now? Do you think this is the begining of the end for Pedro and the tear has gotten worse?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Rajin » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:14 pm

Pedro 02

Pedro 04

The top picture isn't idea for comparison because his arm is not at full extension (and he's throwing a differing pitch i think) , but that should give a better idea of what i mean.

Yes Pedro has had the tear for awhile (since overthrowing in the all-star game in 1999 probably), and all of Red Sox Nation has been on watch, hoping his arm won't fall off ever since.

I'd guess the arm is bothering him and he's trying to avoid pain, or he's just aging and doesn't have the capability to pitch all out for more than an inning or so anymore. If it's the latter, then the red sox need to stop sending him back out after he turns it up (game 7, inning 7 last year, and inning 5 in his last start). If it's the former, then this may be the new pedro for good. He's still a good starter, but nowhere near the demigod he used to be out there. JMO
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:22 pm

Could be but it just looks like different pitches to me. The hair on the other hand. :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers