WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: sad to see

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:01 am

FantasyBeast wrote:Power pitchers to stay power pitchers need tree trunk legs or be freakishly tall. Physically it was only a matter of time. But make no mistake about it,Pedros 3 year run(the one where he got jobbed by Pudge for MVP) is comparable to that of Koufax and I have yet to see a better pitcher in person that that version of Pedro. He is sorely missed. I think his ERA will hover at the low 3 mark by seasons end. He is still a better pitcher than most in the league.

Freakishly Tall? Paging Randy Johnson :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:02 am

I think last night was a fluke

He was hitting 92-93 consistently, his breaking stuff just wasn't working for him (got roped by Vlad on a hanging curveball, etc.). That's the best his velocity has been all year. Barring his yearly injury, I think he'll turn out fine. Gone are the days of 97/72, but he still has some of the best breaking stuff in the league, and can still heat it up when the time is right.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby This is the year » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:03 am

I think last night was a fluke

He was hitting 92-93 consistently, his breaking stuff just wasn't working for him (got roped by Vlad on a hanging curveball, etc.). That's the best his velocity has been all year. Barring his yearly injury, I think he'll turn out fine. Gone are the days of 97/72, but he still has some of the best breaking stuff in the league, and can still heat it up when the time is right.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:36 am

well this might help......

.....I don't know how many of you have noticed, but most of Pedro's starts have been in horrid weather conditions. You're right, his fastball isn't as fast, which means he has to rely on his breaking ball more often now, and when the weather just isn't cooperating, well, neither is the breaking ball.

Even with that being said, last night he did face the Angels in perfect weather conditions. Can you imagine how bad his outing would have been with Glaus, Anderson, and Erstad in the line up, OUCH. Anyways, I don't know what is up with Pedro, he looked like a below average pitcher last night. Maybe the contract talks are getting to him.

It seems Schilling is the new ace of the staff
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:37 am

jacpasfb wrote:ERA: 3.82
WHIP:1.17
Record 5-3 (Behind the Sox's offensive juggernaut!)

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Going into this season, i have always thought of him as the best pitcher in baseball. But he sure isn't showing his form lately. Is he gonna turn it around or has something happened to this ace??

Opinions please.

I wish all my pitches were this 'bad'.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:43 am

I'm sorry but for $17.5M, I want good results in all weather. It's not surprising that the Sox aren't in a hurry to extend a fair weather pitcher, no matter how good he is. His perceived value is much lower than his real value.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:37 am

brdmaverick wrote:well this might help......

.....I don't know how many of you have noticed, but most of Pedro's starts have been in horrid weather conditions. You're right, his fastball isn't as fast, which means he has to rely on his breaking ball more often now, and when the weather just isn't cooperating, well, neither is the breaking ball.

Even with that being said, last night he did face the Angels in perfect weather conditions. Can you imagine how bad his outing would have been with Glaus, Anderson, and Erstad in the line up, OUCH. Anyways, I don't know what is up with Pedro, he looked like a below average pitcher last night. Maybe the contract talks are getting to him.

It seems Schilling is the new ace of the staff

Just imagine how GOOD pedro would of been w/o Vlad in the lineup. That's right....only 1 earned run.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:51 am

Nomar4prez wrote:Just imagine how GOOD pedro would of been w/o Vlad in the lineup. That's right....only 1 earned run.

What if we beemed him back to 1999??
What if he could pitch in colder weather??
What if he was heavier than 160 or so??
That's a lot of ifs.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be a holiday. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:59 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Just imagine how GOOD pedro would of been w/o Vlad in the lineup. That's right....only 1 earned run.

What if we beemed him back to 1999??
What if he could pitch in colder weather??
What if he was heavier than 160 or so??
That's a lot of ifs.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be a holiday. :-D

Exactly. That's like saying if "I never struck out I'd bat .450, isn't that awesome!" It isn't that simple. Also, if the Angels didn't have Vlad, you don't think Guillen or somebody else batting 3rd would have cashed in some of those 10 or so batters that were on base when Vlad would have been up at bat?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby afromangettindrunk » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:37 pm

the second reason for pedros poor start is his control. for whatever reason, hes lost it. that hanging curve to vlad last night was not supposed to be there. tek was set up on the outside. pedro simply doesnt have the same command of his pitches. hes now throwing too many meatballs instead of hitting the target. i think thats his biggest issue, along with loss of velocity.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers