WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH Pedro Martinez!!?!?!?

Postby jacpasfb » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:20 am

ERA: 3.82
WHIP:1.17
Record 5-3 (Behind the Sox's offensive juggernaut!)

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Going into this season, i have always thought of him as the best pitcher in baseball. But he sure isn't showing his form lately. Is he gonna turn it around or has something happened to this ace??

Opinions please.
jacpasfb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:33 am

It's funny that a 3.82 ERA raises flags. I would bet money that he has under a 3.00era at the end of this year. He hasn't been roughed up that much, and only has been roughed up by good offensive teams. If your concerned, sit him when he faces good offensive teams.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:36 am

Nomar4prez wrote:It's funny that a 3.82 ERA raises flags. I would bet money that he has under a 3.00era at the end of this year. He hasn't been roughed up that much, and only has been roughed up by good offensive teams. If your concerned, sit him when he faces good offensive teams.

... or join my league and trade him to me. ;-D
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:36 am

Jumped up to 4.40 after 2nite.

I still think he'll be down to the low 3's by year's end.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KULCAT » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:49 am

Personally i think this is the year the decline starts. He´s been too good for long and i dont think this guy will follow the path Clemens, RJ and Schilling took. That said, he will still be part of the elite this year and maybe next but my personal believe is it will all be downhill from this year on(not suggesting a landslide like the one Roberto Alomar had though).
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:58 am

KULCAT wrote:Personally i think this is the year the decline starts. He´s been too good for long and i dont think this guy will follow the path Clemens, RJ and Schilling took. That said, he will still be part of the elite this year and maybe next but my personal believe is it will all be downhill from this year on(not suggesting a landslide like the one Roberto Alomar had though).

I was all set with numbers until I saw that you said not like those guys. :-/ Since I did the work, I'll just say that those old guys have these combined numbers. I show them for no reason other than that I did the research :-) :

IP: 218.2
W-L: 19-7
ERA: 2.68
WHIP: 1.01
K: 236
BB: 55

That is quite impressive. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thehat » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:27 am

It's really not that complicated to see what's happening. Pedro has gone from a range of 97/72 on the gun when he was completely dominant to 89/72. Once in awhile he'll touch 92-93, but that's only when he really needs it. The vintage Pedro's speed range was such that he was simply unhittable...this version is a lot different. Add in the fact that he's pretty much gassed at 100 pitches, and the results are pretty easy to explain.

This was bound to happen at some point. Pedro is listed at 5'11", 180. In actuality, he's about an inch shorter and 20 pounds lighter. He's simply not big enough to get by on the power anymore, and will have to get by on command and smarts.

He'll still be tough and I can see him getting 15 wins with a mid-3 ERA and plenty of K's. But the glory days are done, a sad fact he'll find out when it comes time to test the FA marketplace after this season.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:37 am

His K's and WHIP are close to what he did last year.........I wouldn't be concerned at all. ERA is a fluky stat, especially this early in the season. He should do just as well as he did last year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jacpasfb » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:36 am

I'm surprised to hear that Pedro has lost some speed off of his fastball, I really didn't know that fact at all. Does anybody know why his fastball is decreasing so much?? I mean Clemens is 42 years old, and Pedro is 32 years old, but Clemens can still rocket that ball up there, why is Pedro losing his velocity at what I think is still such a young age? And does anybody have any data, or a website or information that we can actually see his decrease in speed, or is this just an opinion of everyone? Is there any hard data??
jacpasfb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

sad to see

Postby FantasyBeast » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:58 am

Power pitchers to stay power pitchers need tree trunk legs or be freakishly tall. Physically it was only a matter of time. But make no mistake about it,Pedros 3 year run(the one where he got jobbed by Pudge for MVP) is comparable to that of Koufax and I have yet to see a better pitcher in person that that version of Pedro. He is sorely missed. I think his ERA will hover at the low 3 mark by seasons end. He is still a better pitcher than most in the league.
Aint following no footsteps,Im making my own.

Eminem.
FantasyBeast
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers