Will Bret Boone Breakout dis Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Bret Boone Breakout dis Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Bret Boone Breakout dis Year?

Postby JMinn1087 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:38 pm

i stole Boone in a trade early this season...i was soo happy, but now hes really slumping, is he just old or is he still injured? will he break out of dis?
JMinn1087
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:40 pm

Not a question in my mind he will break out of DIS.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:41 pm

i dont think so, especially if the mariners start a fire sale. i've caught some crap for this before, but i still believe that boone is coming off of steroids, and i think his numbers will show it. i could be wrong, but i dont expect big things this year
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Steroids...whatever

Postby allyg » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:29 pm

Boone will break out. Hes just like every player in the league. Hot and cold spells. He keeps himself in great shape and will more than likely be dealt to a contender. I dont know if you notice this but hes been hitting with no men on an awful lot. That may have caused him to fall into a funk.
Half of Baseball is 90 percent mental
allyg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:36 pm

well tonight he has Hiram Bocachica batting in front of him .. :-o

and Jolbert Cabrera behind him ... :-o :-o

I'm getting worried
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby foamposited » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:46 am

Boone and Soriano are killing me.... I thought I had the 2 best 2b's in the league and here I am getting the slumpers of the league.
foamposited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:49 am

I don't know about the steriods thing ... but I do know that he is playing through an awful lot of the type of minor aches and pains that effect your swing. None of these taken individually are enough to justify a trip to the DL. And none are likely to heal if he keeps playing through. Catch 22.

Best thing that can happen to Boone is that he doesn't make the AS team (which he shouldn't anyway). He needs to be shut down for a week to lick his wounds.

But the point about the M's fire sale is a good one. Even if he heats up, aside from Ichiro there is never anyone on base to drive in.

Hey, I hear the Yankees could use a 2Bman.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:40 am

tlef316 wrote:i dont think so, especially if the mariners start a fire sale. i've caught some crap for this before, but i still believe that boone is coming off of steroids, and i think his numbers will show it. i could be wrong, but i dont expect big things this year

I believe this also. I still think he'll put up decent numbers but closer to 25-90 than to 35-100.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:56 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
tlef316 wrote:i dont think so, especially if the mariners start a fire sale. i've caught some crap for this before, but i still believe that boone is coming off of steroids, and i think his numbers will show it. i could be wrong, but i dont expect big things this year

I believe this also. I still think he'll put up decent numbers but closer to 25-90 than to 35-100.

I don't believe it for one second. His power is fine, it's his contact that is horrible. Steroids don't help you make contact, they help you hit the ball further. He very well could have been on steroids, but coming off of them is not the reason he's hitting 219. Watching him against the Jays, the announcers kept saying how recently he can't hit anything on the outside half of the plate. Sure enough, every at-bat was a steady diet of away-pitches that he hopelessly flailed at. He's 0-15 recently, and the reason he can't hit anything away? I have no clue, maybe it's his hip acting up. But he damn well better fix whatever is bothering him.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers