Rivera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rivera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rivera

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:36 pm

I am getting the same feelings with him as I do when Koch comes in.

Hit Walk Hit bases loaded.Its very scary!

Aside from that I always laugh when I see him out there shaking off signs when the only pitch he throws is the cutter.

I played with a guy in college who threw only a knuckleball and he would stand on the mound and shake off 5 or 6 signs and I am in centerfield thinking WTF!He said it was to confuse the batter LMAO!
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:38 pm

uh, best post season closer of all time. nothing us matters to me or any other yankee fan. id still take him over any closer in the game, including gagne. the game should have been over before a runner reached 2nd, jeter made an effor.

o yeah, he's also throwing 3 pitches now. still mostly cutter, but there is some variety
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:41 pm

Sorry to offend you with a joke post.Ya might wanna come off that high horse and laugh a little.I already know that he is the best postseason closer ever and maybe the best closer ever period.That has nothing to do with what I was saying.
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:44 pm

LionsandTigersOhMy wrote:Sorry to offend you with a joke post.Ya might wanna come off that high horse and laugh a little.I already know that he is the best postseason closer ever and maybe the best closer ever period.That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

sorry if i came off as arrogant. i really didnt realize it was a joke. there are alot of yankee haters on this board, and im ussually forced to beat them off with a broom. its all good. i guess my sense of humor is fading at this point in the night. no harm done i hope ;-D
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:47 pm

tlef316 wrote:uh, best post season closer of all time. nothing us matters to me or any other yankee fan. id still take him over any closer in the game, including gagne. the game should have been over before a runner reached 2nd, jeter made an effor.

o yeah, he's also throwing 3 pitches now. still mostly cutter, but there is some variety

best postseason closer eh? Lets go to game 7 of 2001 World Series. Wait, was that Mariano Rivera blowing the game? While he is the 2nd best closer, I dont think you can argue with Gagne's consectuive save streak. That numbers RIDICULOUS! Gimme Gagne over Rivera.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:52 pm

No harm done.And as far as Gagne over Rivera.In 5 or 6 years if Gagne is still doin his thing and has a couple rings to show for it then we will talk.Until then I got to go where the money is and has been for some time.RIVERA!
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:52 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
tlef316 wrote:uh, best post season closer of all time. nothing us matters to me or any other yankee fan. id still take him over any closer in the game, including gagne. the game should have been over before a runner reached 2nd, jeter made an effor.

best postseason closer eh? Lets go to game 7 of 2001 World Series. Wait, was that Mariano Rivera blowing the game? While he is the 2nd best closer, I dont think you can argue with Gagne's consectuive save streak. That numbers RIDICULOUS! Gimme Gagne over Rivera.

wow, 1 blown post season save in 8 years. gagne has had 1 meaningful save op ever and he blew it. (all star game) im not saying gagne isnt great, but its a well know fact that he never comes in for more than 1 inning and has never pitched a meaningful game as a closer.

rivera went 3 innings last year in game 7 vs boston. would gagne have done that? would he even be put in the game?

ill take mariano, every time
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Paulie Walnuts » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:53 pm

Oh really, absolute NO reason at all to be worried. :-°

Say what you want, but Rivera is the best closer. There is no other Reliever I would trust more with a one-run lead in the 9th Inning.

Very good point about his pitches tlef316.

Let him get a bit more control and feeling for that 2-seamer, and he will be even better! B-)

So right now, it seems to me he just hasn't this feeling yet. But he will get it soon - and he still got that cutter, that always murders left-handed batters.
Paulie Walnuts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GSes » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:55 pm

in fantasy baseball, yes gagne over rivera.

IN BASEBALL

its no question, Mariano Rivera is the iceman comath, he is the stone wall, Mariano Rivera is the ultimate stopper. There is no one, NO ONE you would rathe have pitching the 9th inning of an important game then Mo.

One game, you get one game, EVERYTHING on the line, who do u take Rivera or Gagne.

Its the iceman Rivera, b/c he has done it time in and time out in the post season, how many post season saves does Gagne have? yep, 0

Rivera for one game is your man ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 pm

LionsandTigersOhMy wrote:No harm done.And as far as Gagne over Rivera.In 5 or 6 years if Gagne is still doin his thing and has a couple rings to show for it then we will talk.Until then I got to go where the money is and has been for some time.RIVERA!

doing his thing? so 70 some consectuve saves has shown some consistency? Oh, by the way, World Series rings do not make you a better player. If I am not mistaken, Enrique Wilson has 4 rings. He isnt that good. Clemens has more rings than Nolan Ryan, but he sure as hell isnt better than him. (Dont try to argue that one.) Maybe if Gagne played on a team that was as good as the yankees have been instead of the dodgers, we would be talking about how great Gagne is. Oh, tlef, how the $%*& does the all star game count as a meaningful save opp?? I think any game he saved during the regular season is much more important then the freaking all star game. Id like to see your argument for that though.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers