Do you think Lowell Can Stay Injury-free? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do you think Lowell Can Stay Injury-free?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you think Lowell Can Stay Injury-free?

Postby JMinn1087 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:59 pm

Lowell is looking great how cant u love the guy...but i no hes injury prone...should i try to unload him now while his stock is thru the roof or do u think he'll get hurt or fall off the page? and what do u feel will his final numbers look like...
JMinn1087
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gofishn » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:28 pm

Lowell isn't really injury prone, he had testicular cancer a few years back but thats cleared up and just last year he only got hurt from getting hit by a pitch on the hand. Lowell has been spectacular this year, he is clutch and is doing everything right. I'd hang on to him, even with injuries last year he was still a top 3 third baseman and this year should be no different.
gofishn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby blankman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:31 pm

gofishn wrote:Lowell isn't really injury prone, he had testicular cancer a few years back but thats cleared up and just last year he only got hurt from getting hit by a pitch on the hand. Lowell has been spectacular this year, he is clutch and is doing everything right. I'd hang on to him, even with injuries last year he was still a top 3 third baseman and this year should be no different.

oh no, here we go again :-[
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Runningman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:48 pm

gofishn wrote:Lowell isn't really injury prone, he had testicular cancer a few years back but thats cleared up and just last year he only got hurt from getting hit by a pitch on the hand. Lowell has been spectacular this year, he is clutch and is doing everything right. I'd hang on to him, even with injuries last year he was still a top 3 third baseman and this year should be no different.

Agreed, I don't know where he got a rap for being injury prone. Cancer and getting hit with a ball are random events. Trade Lowell if you think he'll slack off, but not because you think you can predict random injuries.

I have a lot of skepticism for the term "injury prone" anyway. I can understand a pitcher with a history of arm trouble being a risk, or someone like Ken Griffey who pulls up with several different injuries a year, or even Geoff Jenkins who gives up his body in the outfield so often that every play is a risk for something catastrophic.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fiz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:13 am

agreed. calling someone injury prone because he had his hand broken by a pitch isn't fair...now jd drew on the other hand...
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:25 am

Runningman wrote:

Agreed, I don't know where he got a rap for being injury prone. Cancer and getting hit with a ball are random events. Trade Lowell if you think he'll slack off, but not because you think you can predict random injuries.

I have a lot of skepticism for the term "injury prone" anyway. I can understand a pitcher with a history of arm trouble being a risk, or someone like Ken Griffey who pulls up with several different injuries a year, or even Geoff Jenkins who gives up his body in the outfield so often that every play is a risk for something catastrophic.

Yes! Finally somebody agrees with me. In my league we've been debating this for a while. I have Huff and Lowell, and seeing as though it's a deep league (18 teams) I figured I could trade one of them for an upgrade at 1B (where Huff plays). It's obvious why I wasn't trading Huff, and one guy kept saying how Lowell is going to get injured or have a slump in the second half. He had no control over getting hit by a pitch in the hand, or getting cancer. He is no more likely to get injured than anybody else. And he doesn't slump late in the season.......he had one bad August, and all of a sudden has a rep for being a 2nd half slumper. People don't realize that right after that horrible August, he had his best month of the year by absolutely tearing the cover off of ther ball in Seeptember.

Lowell gets no love! He's probably the best true 3B in baseball (A-Rod is a SS, but playing 3B because Jeter is stubborn), but nobody respects that. Why Chavez was taken before Lowell in mostly all pre-season drafts boggles the mind.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fiz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:29 am

so true. lowell gets no dap.
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Melo255 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:32 am

LBJackal wrote:Lowell gets no love! He's probably the best true 3B in baseball (A-Rod is a SS, but playing 3B because Jeter is stubborn), but nobody respects that. Why Chavez was taken before Lowell in mostly all pre-season drafts boggles the mind.

Not to be a pain in the ass but I think you forgot about Rolen. Though I agree completely with being mystified as to why everyone seemed to think Chavez was easily and by far the better 3B.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fiz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:34 am

Melo255 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Lowell gets no love! He's probably the best true 3B in baseball (A-Rod is a SS, but playing 3B because Jeter is stubborn), but nobody respects that. Why Chavez was taken before Lowell in mostly all pre-season drafts boggles the mind.

Not to be a pain in the ass but I think you forgot about Rolen. Though I agree completely with being mystified as to why everyone seemed to think Chavez was easily and by far the better 3B.

but he got hit in the head with the ball and he was out of the lineup today - rolen is soooo injury prone :-D :-D
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:45 am

Melo255 wrote:

Not to be a pain in the ass but I think you forgot about Rolen.

Nope, didn't forget about Rolen. Check out the stats, Lowell has been better over the past 2 years in about 30 less games.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers