Rolen out of the lineup tonight... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rolen out of the lineup tonight...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rolen out of the lineup tonight...

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:12 pm

Just a heads up, guys.

This is just what I need...first Magglio and Delgado out. Now it's Rolen with a *head* injury. Hope he's alright thought.

:-°
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:13 pm

I have a strange feeling that his injury is worse than the Cardinals are saying.... :-?

You don't just leave a game and play the next day after a "mild concussion."
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:17 pm

I really wish these teams would just put guys on the 15-day DL so I can pick somebody else up for them. They're just taking up space wasting away on my bench. If Rolen goes down for any significant period of time, I'll have to drop a pitcher to find a replacement.

:-o

Anyway, let's just pray that it's not very serious. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:27 pm

Doesn't sound too serious based on this article from stlcardinals.com

PITTSBURGH -- Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen was held out of the lineup on Wednesday, a day after being hit in the forehead by a Ryan Vogelsong fastball. Rolen is still bothered by a headache, though his other symptoms from what is being called a "mild concussion" have diminished since Tuesday.
John Mabry took Rolen's place at third base, while Jim Edmonds slotted from fifth into Rolen's usual fourth spot in the batting order. Originally, manager Tony La Russa made out a lineup that included Rolen, but head trainer Barry Weinberg and the Cardinals' medical staff decided that Rolen should be held out for another day due to his headache.

"He came in with some mild symptoms, just a little headache," said Weinberg. "But everything else has decreased. We're gonna give him a full workout and sit him today. Then we'll evaluate him tomorrow.

"If he goes through this full workout and tomorrow all the symptoms are decreased, he'll be OK to go."

Scott Rolen / 3B
Born: 04/04/75
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 240 lbs
Bats: R / Throws: R

More info:
Player page
Stats | Splits
Team Site

Manager Tony La Russa said it was possible that Rolen will be available to pinch-hit or even potentially play defense in the late innings. However, the team will try to be cautious with its five-time Gold Glove-winning, All-Star third baseman.

"The whole key to the workout is to see one, how the headache is, and two, his focus and stuff like that," said Weinberg. "See how he's focusing, make sure his eyes are OK and the headache doesn't increase. Then we'll take the next step."

Rolen is batting .348 with a .410 on-base percentage and a .625 slugging percentage. He has hit 13 home runs and leads the Majors with 53 RBIs.

Mabry has played primarily first base and outfield over parts of 11 seasons in the big leagues, but he has made 85 appearances at third base. He played five games at third for Triple-A Memphis before his recall on May 26. Other options for the Cards at third include Hector Luna and Cody McKay.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Phew! Let's hope it's just precautionary.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Rolen out of the lineup tonight...

Postby BoSox4life » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:28 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Just a heads up, guys.

This is just what I need...first Magglio and Delgado out. Now it's Rolen with a *head* injury. Hope he's alright thought.

:-°

Thanks for the info! ;-D

He better be alright...
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sunspot » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:19 pm

was that the teams "head" trainer or their head trainer that he saw? sorry, I'll shut up now.[/quote]
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers