Commissioner question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commissioner question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commissioner question

Postby davus » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:26 pm

In the $$$ league I am commissioner of, there is one team that is completely dead. He currently has 4 guys on the DL in his starting lineup. He pretty much never changed his lineup since day 1.

A week ago, he accepts a trade from a contending team to give up Beltran for Bonds. Our league categories for offense are R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG and OPS.

Obviously Barry is a monster in AVG, OPS and HR. He is pretty average to below average in every other category. Beltran is obviously a bigtime stud, 5-tool player. He gets a lot of triples which is huge in our league.

This is also a keeper league.

My irritation is that this guy doesn't manage his team at all but is accepting a trade that will have implications for years to come...Bonds is not a keeper, Beltran is.

Nobody really complained about the trade, and rightfully so, it's not really that bad, even though Bonds is now on the bench for the other manager and the contending manager got an upgrade and one of the best keepers in Beltran.

I'm wondering. Should I lock this guy out from making any further trades? He doesn't really know what he is doing and if he isn't going to even set his lineup, I almost think that he shouldn't be allowed to make trades that can affect the league possibly years into the future. I don't like the thought of this, but I also don't like the thought of his team becoming a ballplayer swapping grounds.

What do you guys think?
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 pm

Talk with the owner in question yet?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:57 pm

Arlo wrote:Talk with the owner in question yet?

Not about the trade. I've asked him many times to keep up with his team and he just blows it off.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:00 pm

To me, the first thing to do would always be talking to the parties involved. You will prevent a lot of b.s. down the road if you clear up what the issue was with the manager, and also confront him about his inactivity.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:03 pm

Just saw your post. Well he seems like a real jerk, but barring a change of events in his attitude towards the league I don't think there is much you can do, and I don't think it is right that you block him from making trades considering he paid just like everyone else. Bonds for Beltran in a keeper might not be a good idea, but his mistake to make, no? What strikes me as odd is the fact that he ignored his team for so long and then made a trade like that. It doesn't seem right to me, but I don't think you can really prove collusion there.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:16 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's collusion, but I think it is bad for the league to have a manager out there that doesn't even put a lineup in, but will accept trades to fill holes in other managers' rosters.

The trade was a bad trade, but nowhere near collusion. I just think in the case of a manager who refuses to manage his team, that maybe he should be locked out of making trades when he's obviously not doing it in an effort to improve his team.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:33 pm

davus wrote:The trade was a bad trade, but nowhere near collusion. I just think in the case of a manager who refuses to manage his team, that maybe he should be locked out of making trades when he's obviously not doing it in an effort to improve his team.

I can't say I agree here. Perhaps in a regular league, with no money on the line. However, in a league where teams are competing for cash and they had to put in cash to be part of it, I don't think the commish has to right to lock the team. If you paid your dues, you should have free reign over your team, even if that means you don't check it. I try to join only leagues where I know that the owners are not going to neglect their teams. Since he made a trade, it is clear that he is at least doing something regardless of how minute that may be. I just don't think it's your place to lock him out.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Return to Baseball Leftovers