Seriously Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Seriously Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Seriously Soriano

Postby trailblazur » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:50 pm

Im a first year soriano owner, can I get some reassurance from other past owners that everything will be ok??? Seems like the Rangers offense has been decent so far, so where the hell is this guy??? thanks for the rant :-°
trailblazur
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:26 pm

here's a selection from a piece i submitted to a local publication a couple days ago:

The Texas Rangers’ Alfonso Soriano is –after a very recent trade– my second baseman. He is currently batting a mere .279 average with 6 home runs and 5 stolen bases. At this pace, he will end up with 19 home runs and 16 stolen bases. These numbers are better than decent, but pale in comparison to his previous 2-year average production of .295, 39 home runs and 41 stolen bases. His currently low production allowed me to obtain him from another owner for less than his real value. The line-up that surrounds Soriano is providing little consistent help. Pitchers are not forced to offer good pitches, because if they walk him, they are confident that the next batter will not reach base. Typically “big bashers” like Mark Teixeira (.220 average with 5 home runs) and Brad Fullmer (.215 with 5 home runs) are slumping. Even Blalock has been pretty quiet, going 5 for his last 21. When they come around, Soriano’s chances will improve. Considering that he is batting .337 in his home park, and two of the next three weeks will put him there, I am fairly certain that his outbreak is just around the corner. It also helps that he’ll be visiting Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark, where he hit .357 last year. Alfonso also enjoys Reds pitchers.

Alfonso Soriano’s numbers against the only Reds’ pitchers he has faced:
vs. Corey Lidle (.357 average through 28 at-bats with 2 home runs)
vs. Todd Jones (.500 average)
vs. Todd Van Poppel (.500 average)
vs. Danny Graves (.500 average)
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:31 pm

i dont own soriano, but as a yankee fan, i know the feeling of watching him slump. they dont usually last this long. IMO, he is being bothered by some kind of nagging injury. i thought i read something about a hamstring a few days ago. he is too talented not to hit in that ball park if he is healthy. his value is so low, you have to just wait for him to come out of it, unless you want to trade him for crap
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:52 pm

benjapage wrote:here's a selection from a piece i submitted to a local publication a couple days ago:

The Texas Rangers’ Alfonso Soriano is –after a very recent trade– my second baseman. He is currently batting a mere .279 average with 6 home runs and 5 stolen bases. At this pace, he will end up with 19 home runs and 16 stolen bases. These numbers are better than decent, but pale in comparison to his previous 2-year average production of .295, 39 home runs and 41 stolen bases. His currently low production allowed me to obtain him from another owner for less than his real value. The line-up that surrounds Soriano is providing little consistent help. Pitchers are not forced to offer good pitches, because if they walk him, they are confident that the next batter will not reach base. Typically “big bashers” like Mark Teixeira (.220 average with 5 home runs) and Brad Fullmer (.215 with 5 home runs) are slumping. Even Blalock has been pretty quiet, going 5 for his last 21. When they come around, Soriano’s chances will improve. Considering that he is batting .337 in his home park, and two of the next three weeks will put him there, I am fairly certain that his outbreak is just around the corner. It also helps that he’ll be visiting Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark, where he hit .357 last year. Alfonso also enjoys Reds pitchers.

Alfonso Soriano’s numbers against the only Reds’ pitchers he has faced:
vs. Corey Lidle (.357 average through 28 at-bats with 2 home runs)
vs. Todd Jones (.500 average)
vs. Todd Van Poppel (.500 average)
vs. Danny Graves (.500 average)

I hate to disagree with you after all the effort you went through, but I will anyways. ;-)
Soriano started seriously struggling the end of last year. He is not disciplined and until he is, pitchers are going to continue to pitch around him until he stops getting himself out. Need proof?

In the last month, he has 6 walks and 27 Ks. For the season, he has 11 walks and 45 Ks. That's a 0.24 BB/K ratio. This is not good. The yankees worked with him the last two years on making him be more disciplined at the plate and nothing worked. He ended the season as the easiest out in the Yankee's line-up. Unfortunately, this has carried over into this year.

As a comparison, look at Pujols and A-Rod. (I chose them to compare because in most leagues these guys were the top 3 taken)

Pujols has 33 walks and 14 Ks. This is a 2.35 BB/K ratio.

A-Rod has 27 walks and 44 Ks. This is a 0.66 BB/K ratio. Although not great, it's still enough to keep pitchers honest.

The point is, until Soriano learns to stop swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, he's going to be his own worst enemy.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:55 pm

You can't justify Soriano's inability to take walks as meaning he's not a good player. You don't HAVE to walk to be a good hitter. I am not going to get into stats, b/c I've had this exact same discussion before in another thread, but the fact that Soriano doesn't walk does not mean he will not come around. He needs Tex to start hitting, then he'll come around.

If Texas would move Laynce Nix up behind Soriano vs. righties, that would help too...he's one of their best hitters right now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby colt4523 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:58 pm

I was complaining about him yesterday. I expected him to carry my offense and he has not done much of anything for me :-t I am going to test the market with him to see what I can get.
Last edited by colt4523 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:59 pm

colt4523 wrote:I was complaining about him yesterday I expected him to carry my offense and he has not done much of anything for me :-t I am going to test the market with him to see what I can get.

It's OK to test the market, but don't trade him for significantly less than his preseason worth. What you would be doing is called "selling low" and is not a good strategy at all.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby benjapage » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:05 pm

The point is, until Soriano learns to stop swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, he's going to be his own worst enemy.

point well made.

big K numbers don't always mean bad production. want proof? craig wilson has struck out 52 times and has 12 home runs, batting .353. adam dunn has struck out 67 times and has 14 home runs. bagwell has struck out 50 times, but has hit 9 home runs, batting .290. soriano has struck out 45 times with only 6 home runs to show for it. i don't think his K numbers have that much to do with it.

the problem--it appears to me--is that soriano tries to make things happen when he's not getting enough support. it will come. these next three weeks bode well for his return.

now, if he's sneaking around with an injury, that's another thing.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby G-Man » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:12 pm

I believe Soriano walked in his very first appearance this season because I remember being stunned when it happened....guess it didn't end up carrying through. he should be fine in terms of hitting (he was turning in multi-hit games all over the place for the first couple of weeks) but what really has me worried is his SB's. I didn't expect moving out of the leadoff spot to have such an adverse affect, but it's probably also attributable to game situations as well.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:15 pm

colt4523 wrote:I was complaining about him yesterday. I expected him to carry my offense and he has not done much of anything for me :-t I am going to test the market with him to see what I can get.

i traded him for jim thome last month (before the thumb injury flared up and when thome did not have over 2 homeruns).....

then i traded belliard and damon for giles (before he got hurt).

now i have uribe filling the spot until he returns and picked up reyes off of waivers to use and hopefully serve as trade bait when giles comes back....

i am in a tough division, about 8 games back, and i could not wait for his power and the predictions that he would return to last year's form to materialize in a young and sometimes undisciplined texas lineup...
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers