The Peavy Prognosis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Peavy Prognosis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Peavy Prognosis

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:41 pm

So what's the deal with Peavy? How much longer is he out of action and what type of pitcher will he be when he returns?
Image
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 862
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TEKTON » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:10 pm

anyone in the SD area have anything to report?
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 197
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:29 pm

He's got tendonitis. He's out till after the All Star break. No structural damage, so rest is the remedy. There's really no way to speculate on his effectiveness when he returns as there's no set timetable. There will almost certainly be a couple rehab appearances and that might give a clue.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:32 pm

His success this year has been a fluke. He's lucky his ERA isn't 4+. But yeah, it sucks for people that own him that he's out because that luck was still helping you win. "Luck"ily, I don't have him in any leagues. On the bright side, you won't have to suffer through his regression to the mean which could have been brutal.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:34 pm

LBJackal wrote:His success this year has been a fluke. He's lucky his ERA isn't 4+. But yeah, it sucks for people that own him that he's out because that luck was still helping you win. "Luck"ily, I don't have him in any leagues. On the bright side, you won't have to suffer through his regression to the mean which could have been brutal.


i disagree. he might have been overachieving slightly, but him pitching well is hardly a fluke. the guy may come back a little rusty, but he is well worth holding onto in keeper leagues. he is young, pitching in a pretty good pitchers park and has a lot of potential
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1735
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: central jersey

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:35 pm

LBJackal wrote:His success this year has been a fluke. He's lucky his ERA isn't 4+. But yeah, it sucks for people that own him that he's out because that luck was still helping you win. "Luck"ily, I don't have him in any leagues. On the bright side, you won't have to suffer through his regression to the mean which could have been brutal.
hey, k an inning I'll take it
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:39 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
LBJackal wrote:His success this year has been a fluke. He's lucky his ERA isn't 4+. But yeah, it sucks for people that own him that he's out because that luck was still helping you win. "Luck"ily, I don't have him in any leagues. On the bright side, you won't have to suffer through his regression to the mean which could have been brutal.
hey, k an inning I'll take it


Yeah, a K/IP is nice, but his WHIP is worse than it was last year when he had a 4+ ERA. I don't know how he's keeping the ball in the park, I guess it could be the new ballpark itself, but I don't regret not drafting him in any leagues.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby JamesBond007 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:42 pm

LBJackal wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:
LBJackal wrote:His success this year has been a fluke. He's lucky his ERA isn't 4+. But yeah, it sucks for people that own him that he's out because that luck was still helping you win. "Luck"ily, I don't have him in any leagues. On the bright side, you won't have to suffer through his regression to the mean which could have been brutal.
hey, k an inning I'll take it


Yeah, a K/IP is nice, but his WHIP is worse than it was last year when he had a 4+ ERA. I don't know how he's keeping the ball in the park, I guess it could be the new ballpark itself, but I don't regret not drafting him in any leagues.


This is coming from a guy backing Esteban Loaiza? Interesting....
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 386
Joined: 17 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Longhorns76 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Not allowing more than 2 ER in any game this season is fluky and lucky.? Whip is misleading and doesn't truly reveal the fact that he is placing pitches in places where a strike or ball can be called either way. He isn't wild. If Peavy were a wild pitcher I would be concerned but he is still striking people out and attempting to strike others out by painting the corners very closely. Sometimes he has been getting the calls and sometimes he hasn't. To say that he is lucky or a fluke is absurd IMO.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 333
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Las Cruces

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:14 pm

jackal?!?!?!


little harsh on Jacob aren't ya ..

Irregardless,

The facts of the matter remain, He does have a excellent K/9 and he does pitch in an extreme. And he finally has some offense.

I think you are confused here when it comes to Padre Pitchers ..
If you want "fluke" look at Adam Eatons win total. Better yet , if you really want fluke look at Brian Lawrence's win total. :-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31755
(Past Year: 746)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Jul. 27
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(1:10 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(2:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
San Diego at Atlanta
(5:05 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(7:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact