Strategy Question: Home Field advantage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy Question: Home Field advantage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy Question: Home Field advantage

Postby ike301 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:44 pm

So my question, as a 2nd year fantasy participant, is how much of an advantage does a batter get by playing in his home field?

does it make an significant impact on numbers?

other than the obvious pitchers/batters park like petco or coors, does the player improve by playing in his home court? or is it just a myth?
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:15 pm

Different strokes for different folks. There are guys who do better at home or on the road but I think that a really good hitter will do well anywhere. Now, that doesn't mean that I won't start some Rockies at home. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:51 pm

I don't think a player really improves by playing in his home park just because it's at home; however, most teams select players who will thrive in their park - the Rockies and Astros go after big bats while big park teams like the Dodgers and Marlins focus on speed.

I wouldn't make any blanket assumptions about home and away tendencies, its best just to look at the splits for each player.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:16 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:I don't think a player really improves by playing in his home park just because it's at home; however, most teams select players who will thrive in their park - the Rockies and Astros go after big bats while big park teams like the Dodgers and Marlins focus on speed.

I wouldn't make any blanket assumptions about home and away tendencies, its best just to look at the splits for each player.

That's what I was going to say. It depends on the player and if his park is a hitter's or pitcher's park more than anything in baseball I think. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby ike301 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:15 pm

so, i guess the answer is yes and no. yes in that if the park is a hitters park or not. and no, the player should hit as he's hit.

sure, there are many variables, such as pitcher, line-ups, weather, etc.

i just thought that there may be some hidden strategy in playing players at home. i have a deep OF, and sometimes, i stuggle in selecting the right player for that night. some of my batters are of equal strength, so i just take homefield by default... not sure this is the right stategy, but i guess there's no way to quantify the results.
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:36 pm

another factor which may have something to do with it is that on away trips the pitchers that the batters face are more accustomed to the park and more comfortable in it, so batters will typically face better pitching on the road (also, clubs taylor their pitching staffs to the ballparks).
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers