What is a "Hold" exactly?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is a "Hold" exactly??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is a "Hold" exactly??

Postby stymie38 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:27 am

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to a Yahoo! league.

Last night, Quantrill pitches 1.2 innings against Balt. Gives up 1 hit, no runs, and protects a 7-3 lead.

Yet he doesn't get credit for a "Hold".

I've also seen pitchers get credit for both a "Hold" AND a "Win" in the same relief appearance.

What's the criteria?
stymie38
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thats NOT Snowflake » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:45 am

From MLB.com

The "Hold":
The hold is not an official statistic, but it was created as a way to credit middle relief pitchers for a job well done. Starting pitchers get wins, and closers -- the relief pitchers who come in at the end of the game -- get saves, but the guys who pitch in between the two rarely get either statistic. So what's the most important thing one of these middle relievers can do? "Hold" a lead. If a reliever comes into a game to protect a lead, gets at least one out and leaves without giving up that lead, he gets a hold. But you can't get a save and a hold at the same time.

"A Hold is credited any time a relief pitcher enters a game in a Save Situation, records at least one out, and leaves the game never having relinquished the lead.

In other words, you have to enter a game in a save situation, get somebody out, and exit the game with the same save situation intact."

I believe Quantrill didn't get credit for the HOLD because he was protecting a 4 run lead. If it had been a 3 run lead he would have gotten the HOLD.
Thats NOT Snowflake
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stymie38 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:14 am

Okay, thanks. I was wondering if the 4-run lead was a factor.

Does that mean more than one pitcher can have a hold in the same game? ie. one guy pitches the 7th and another pitches the 8th.
stymie38
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Thats NOT Snowflake » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:25 am

stymie38 wrote:Okay, thanks. I was wondering if the 4-run lead was a factor.

Does that mean more than one pitcher can have a hold in the same game? ie. one guy pitches the 7th and another pitches the 8th.

YES - more than one pitcher can record a hold in a single game. I've seen up to 4 Midddle Relievers get credits for holds in the same game. All they have to do is record an out in a save situation.l
Thats NOT Snowflake
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:38 am

I am by no means a holds expert but if Quantrill came into a 7-3 game in the 7th inning, isn't that technically a save situation??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:28 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am by no means a holds expert but if Quantrill came into a 7-3 game in the 7th inning, isn't that technically a save situation??

It really depends on which stat service you use. The original hold was a STATS, Inc concoction and it uses the Hold definition that is most often mentioned. In the mid-90s SportsTicker took over the contract for USA Today (as well as ESPN) to do the box scores and they came up with their own method which was different in a couple ways.

1. You don't have to record an out to get a hold. Just enter the game in a save situation and leave the next guy a save situation.

2. The new design does not credit pitchers with holds in big run leads. So a 7-3 lead would only be a hold if the pitcher entered the game with the tying run on-base/at-bat/on-deck.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:42 pm

Tavish wrote:1. You don't have to record an out to get a hold. Just enter the game in a save situation and leave the next guy a save situation.

You don't have to leave the next guy a save situation. You just can't relinquish the lead. If your team extends its lead from 4-3 to 11-3 while you're in the game, thats still a hold.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quickfingerz » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:08 pm

you can get a hold w/o pitching an out...
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers