which memorible/historical games have you attended? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

which memorible/historical games have you attended?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which memorible/historical games have you attended?

Postby INeedaFavoriteTeam » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:57 am

I was wondering if you guys want to share any famous/historical/memorible games that you have attended for any sports.... For me personally, I am a Maryland student and am a diehard Terps fan. Maryland-Duke rivalry the last few years has been incredible. I was at the Duke-Maryland game 2 years ago where Duke erased a 10 point lead in 54 seconds (Gone in 54 seconds) and proceeded to beat us on our home floor in overtime right on ESPN. I specifically remember the student section went crazy and started chanting OVERRATED, OVERRATED. Duke was ranked #1 at the time and I saw Jason Williams' eyes lit up upon that chant. He managed to foul out Steve Blake the next possession and scored 8 straight points in 35 seconds. When we lost the game in OT, you should've seen the student section (maryland has a well deserved infamous reputation for its student section). The worst part was we were on instant classic the next day. That was the craziest game i've attended so far for any sport and left a real bitter taste the rest of the year. (We lost to Duke again in the final four on the same year where we were up by 21 points!! at one point).
INeedaFavoriteTeam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:24 am

I went to the game in 2000 when the Giants won the NL West.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WHATWHAT? » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:32 am

I was at the game in 1997 when the Giants won the NL West.
I was at the game when Bonds hit # 73.
I was at the game when Bonds hit #661.

I love the giants!
WHATWHAT?
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:35 am

I've lucky enough to see a couple great events.

I was in Arlington for Brett in his final game against Nolan Ryan in his final game. Absolutely amazing atmosphere watching the two bring the scorecards out and to see Ryan tip his cap to Brett before pitching to him.

The second was seeing Derrick Thomas set the sack record against the Seahawks. To this day that is still the most dominating performance by an athlete in a team game I have ever seen.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Melo255 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:25 am

It's not baseball but 2 season ago I was the Celtics - Nets Eastern Conference Finals game at the Fleetcenter where I witnessed the greatest comeback in NBA playoff history. 1st and 2nd quarters me and my buddy almost left a hundred times, don't know why we stayed, then all of sudden a 30 point deficit turns into 15...then 10...then 5...then it's tied...then they take the lead!!!! Literally the next day I couldn't make a sound other than a grunt because I had done so much yelling and screaming that night. Believe me, when people say they have the best home court advantage it pales in comparison to the noise generated in the Fleet that night. Paul Pierce took over the game in a way MJ never even did, pure dominance the likes of which I have never seen. For the rest of that night my ears were ringing. It was just unreal. Greatest night of my life. Of course New Jersey came back the next night from a fairly large deficit of their own and won the series. Oh well.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:01 am

I saw Nomo's no-hitter a couple of years ago (the one against the O's) which was nice.

I also saw Todd Pratt's game against the Braves where he lost control of his bat 3 times and sailed it into the 3b stands (also 3 times).

And I got to see the first game of the Julio Franco comeback, which still cracks me up. Has anyone noticed that he looks like he really, really has to use the bathroom when he bats? Good times.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:26 am

One of the games of the 86 world series--I was young, but my dad took me.

And, Games 3 and 7 of the 2003 ALCS. :-t
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:02 pm

I saw the Yankees beat the Orioles to win the Pennant at Camden Yards It was Awesome...Strawberry hit a home run, leyritz, hit a home run and was Cecil Fielder a yankee at that time??? Cause if so i think he hit a home run...I was sitting right above the Yankees bullpen and got to see Rivera Warm up from like 10 feet...it was amazing!

I agree bring baseball to D.C. I hate driving up 95 to baltimore...its a 45 minute drive with no traffic and a 2 hour drive with traffic on average...
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:I agree bring baseball to D.C. I hate driving up 95 to baltimore...its a 45 minute drive with no traffic and a 2 hour drive with traffic on average...

Yup, and it's impossible to make a seven p.m. game if you work.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:49 pm

Yea I agreee..i really wanted to go to the Yankees Orioles series but it would have been hell trying to get their for a 7pm game...not to mention if there is any chance of rain you basically dont wanna go and then have to turn around!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk