Latest on Mags from the team website... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Latest on Mags from the team website...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Latest on Mags from the team website...

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:05 pm

OAKLAND -- From the beginning of Spring Training, Magglio Ordonez vowed that his on-going contractual negotiations with the White Sox would not become a distraction to his on-field play.
That fact still holds true two months into the season, despite Ordonez having to flatly deny a contractual rumor coming out of New York prior to Tuesday's game in Oakland. But take Ordonez out of the lineup for a prolonged period of time and a definite problem arises for the All-Star right fielder.

Ordonez missed his sixth straight game with a strained left calf that appears to be bothering him more in the back of the knee area, especially when he runs. Ordonez probably won't play Wednesday afternoon but was not put on the disabled list because the White Sox couldn't get a player to Oakland in time for the early start.

But if Ordonez doesn't feel better Thursday, then he officially could be put on the shelf beginning with the series in Seattle.

"I never thought it would be this long," Ordonez said of his injury, suffered last Tuesday during an at-bat against Texas. "Now, I have a week without play. You get frustrated. You want to play and you can't because it's sore. You have to wait and see what happens.

"I'll just wait a couple of more days. If I don't feel better then, I guess I'll have to go on the disabled list."

In six previous Major League seasons, Ordonez never has gone through an inactive stretch as he's battling currently. To the team's credit, they have posted a 4-1 record without the help of Ordonez's .311 batting average, eight home runs and 34 RBIs.

The only loss suffered during his absence was with the White Sox's fourth try at cementing a fifth starter last Saturday. That spot previously came up short even with Ordonez playing.

Willie Harris, coming off of a four-hit game Sunday, earned a rare start against a left-handed pitcher Tuesday. Aaron Rowand moved over to right field.

"We've had a lot of guys pick up the slack," said Harris of the team coming through without Ordonez. "It shows the character in here. We have great pitching and good hitters. If we put it all together, we can be just as good as anyone."

"When a guy goes down like that, you just take it day by day," added White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Ordonez. "One day he feels worse then another. Now, he says he feels a lot better, but it's not completely, completely healed. He's just sore."

Ordonez was a bit sore at Jon Heyman, who reported in Sunday's edition of Newsday that contract negotiations with the White Sox had fallen apart. The report went on to say that Ordonez rejected a five-year, $70 million offer and was all but certain to leave, with the Mets becoming a suitable destination.

The report already had been brought to Ordonez's attention. He didn't seem to know anything about turning down an offer commensurate with his $14 million salary this season.

"No, that's not true. That's a lie," said Ordonez of the report out of New York. "I just read the paper and that's a lie. I don't know who said that and why they said I want to go to the Mets. It's a lie, that's all I can say."

Ordonez mentioned that Tom Reich, his agent, is still talking with the White Sox about a possible new deal. But the contract couldn't be further from his mind right now.

It's a question of getting healthy and contributing for the first-place White Sox. Not knowing where he'll be playing next year isn't nearly as bothersome for Ordonez as not being able to play for the past week this year.

"I just want to play my game and that's it," Ordonez said. "That's all I want to do.

"Winning is why we are here. We're not here to talk about contracts or anything else. You're just here to win. That's it. That's all that matters."
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:38 pm

I really hate this...I hope he is back by Thursday....I just cant take any more DL stints....this means I have to play Marlon Byrd.

:-t
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Green Monstah » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:43 pm

I can't remember when so many quality stars were hurt....Prior, Nomar, Anderson, Magglio, Sexon, Giambi, Preston Wilson, Beckett etc etc etc.... :~(
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:53 pm

Green Monstah wrote:I can't remember when so many quality stars were hurt....Prior, Nomar, Anderson, Magglio, Sexon, Giambi, Preston Wilson, Beckett etc etc etc.... :~(

Dont forget the time Helton & Thome missed too.

:~(
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brdmaverick » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:46 am

ya, this could be very bad for my team, having these guys.......

Magglio, Nomar, Beckett, P.Wilson, R.Sexson

5 guys on DL, but only 2 DL spots
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fac273 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:03 am

Just to let you all know, I was watching the A's-WhiteSox game tonight and in the top of the ninth, Maggs was on-deck to pinch-hit. Of course, he didn't get to the plate since Valentin rocked one to tie the game.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I think it's a good sign...
fac273
College Coach
College Coach

Postby G-Man » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:04 am

fac273 wrote:Just to let you all know, I was watching the A's-WhiteSox game tonight and in the top of the ninth, Maggs was on-deck to pinch-hit. Of course, he didn't get to the plate since Valentin rocked one to tie the game.

great post fac273, I hadn't read about this anywhere and now feel much better knowing he COULD HAVE gotten an AB last night.... ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:03 pm

fac273 wrote:Just to let you all know, I was watching the A's-WhiteSox game tonight and in the top of the ninth, Maggs was on-deck to pinch-hit. Of course, he didn't get to the plate since Valentin rocked one to tie the game.

Just watched the replay & Mags was infact on deck...A good sign no DL will be needed since they couldnt retro it a week if he came in.

Maybe Friday Mags will be DHing??
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby patriot79 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:21 pm

He's not in in today's lineup either. I hope he's back by the weekend.
patriot79
College Coach
College Coach

Postby G-Man » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:20 pm

patriot79 wrote:He's not in in today's lineup either. I hope he's back by the weekend.

the deadline set for his return is this weekend, otherwise he will go on the DL retroactive to whatever time makes him eligible to return in time for (i believe) their next home series. think i read this on TSN.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers