Anyone seen Buehrle pitch this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone seen Buehrle pitch this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone seen Buehrle pitch this year?

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon May 31, 2004 10:31 pm

I was offered Mark Buehrle in a trade today, almost declined instantly because I'm not a fan of guys with poor K rates. But then I looked in to his numbers this year - His K/BB ratio is an impressive 3.56. HR rate about normal. Only a higher than usual percentage of hits allowed has held him back - that usually corrects itself. Plus, his two worst outings were both against the Yankees. And he just turned 25 - I thought he was older.

Basically, his vital numbers look excellent. But his historical numbers are kind of blah. So I'm wondering - is something different about Buehrle this year? Increased velocity, a new pitch, anything?
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Mon May 31, 2004 10:40 pm

I think he's gotten over his dead arm period, at least for now. Buehrle may be one of the lucky ones who logs WAY too many IP before the age of 25 and doesn't end up as a surgery patient or regular DL denizen. (Looks like Jake Peavy is the newest member of this unfortunate club)

I still am not completely sold that he's going to get all the way back to his $25 plus value of a couple years back, but the signs are encouraging. As one who took a very strong anti-Buehrle stance early in 2003 (similar to my anti-Zito stance from day one this season), I'm now finally ready to start believeing in him again to some extent...but I still wouldn't go overboard in a trade.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby t2green2 » Mon May 31, 2004 10:41 pm

He would fall in the cat of crafty vet(albeit young) IMO and yes I own him and have fielded offers for him in the last couple of weeks. Anyway I would say he is a solid 3rd starter on my team. I drafted him and was laughed at........

Anyway bottom line is it depends on what you are giving up.
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers