Let an owner take a guy back who was dropped by mistake? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let an owner take a guy back who was dropped by mistake?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Allow an owner to take back a player he mistakenly dropped?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:26 pm

Yes. Wouldn't you expect sympathy if it were you?
39%
No. He screwed up, and you wouldn't expect to get your guy back if it were you.
61%

Total votes : 18

Let an owner take a guy back who was dropped by mistake?

Postby NY1b23 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:26 pm

Any advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated.
Last night, an owner in my league (8 team, 5x5 head to head, single season) picked up J. Hernandez to fill in for Jeter, minutes after the injury happened. To get Hernandez, he dropped Mike Williams.

This morning, the owner posted a long message on the league board asking if everyone will bypass Williams on waivers so that he can grab him back, without penalty, after he clears. He says he meant to drop Matt Anderson, not Williams. I don't know if this means he just clicked the button without noticing it was Williams on the screen, or whether he saw the name up there but for a minute thought "Williams" was the crappy DET closer he meant to drop. The owner wrote that he probably wouldn't be sympathetic if someone else were in his shoes, but he's asking us nonetheless. Also, he promises that if we all do him this favor, he will repay us (how?!). I have the #1 waiver claim.

This situation has a bit of history. Last year, this same guy offered, and I accepted, a trade of WASH DEF for Jimmy Smith at the beginning of the football season. I immiediately took it, but he then went to the commish and asked the commish to veto, just becuase he didn't mean to do it. The commish vetoed it, without hearing my protests.

Anyway, what should I and everyone else in the leauge do now?
(he still has four closers for 3 slots on his team...he's stocked even without Williams). Thanks for reading this longwinded situation and for your advice.
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:30 pm

I was leaning towards letting him get him back until you said he had a history of doing this . I say congrats , you just got 40 saves from a wire pick.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Exactly

Postby NY1b23 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:33 pm

Based on his actions in the past situation he has a history of 2 things: (1) making these "mistakes" and (2) getting them retracted if he's lucky enough to do it when the commish has the power to fix it (without any opinions from the rest of the league).

So that leads me to feel that if the commish had the power to retract a drop, just like he has the power to veto a trade, he'd already have Williams back becuase he would have confidentially asked the commish to do it.
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:40 pm

I had a trade last year I gave Irod and Matt Anderson for Maddux and Smoltz after the was accepted the other manager wrote the league asking everyone to veto it, he said he thought he was trading Glavine and when it didn't get vetoed he dropped Smoltz ten minutes before the trade went through. I picked up 55 saves for free.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Wow

Postby NY1b23 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:44 pm

Well that is a pretty assanine move. Nice work though.
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nashnut » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:59 pm

Even without the history, I say tough luck. If he were a rookie I might have some sympathy.
nashnut

Friendliness: %

Postby Clevelander » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:20 pm

stupid is as stupid does... (again...lol)
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:26 pm

I say he deals with it. Next time, double check!!!!
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:35 pm

I voted Yes, but after reading the posts, I say you can't keep cutting this guy slack. Once or twice is OK, but its been a bit more than that. I say take his player, then he might pay more attention next time he makes a roster move. So I change my vote.
Andy1234

Friendliness: %

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:41 pm

No offense, but I'm going to take yr story w/a grain of salt. You'd be the one benefiting from the move - and my initial reaction is to let him have Williams back. But it's hard to know only getting one side of the story.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers