who am I? #4 (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

who am I? #4 (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

who am I? #4 (answered)

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:59 am

It's hard to list all the anecdotes about my career - maybe you should watch the movie made about me. Some pretty weird things happened when I was playing.

I fought with Billy Martin, but hey, who didn't? I hurt Billy Goodman trying to break up an argument with an umpire (I had quite a few of those myself), and hurt my own arm in a throwing contest with Willie Mays. I went 6-for-6 in a famous comeback, and had a great glove as well. Nobody played as shallow in the outfield as I did.

I'm mainly remembered for various stunts, however ("Give 'em their money's worth" was my motto). You know, things like hiding behind flag poles. One of my favorites was the time we were down 9-5 and Satchel Paige was on the mound. I called out that I was going to bunt, laid one down and beat it out. On first, I imitated Satchel's windup and let out a yell every time he let go of the ball. Nearly drove him bonkers. We went on to score six runs and take the game.

My attempt to faze Ted Williams by running back and forth in the outfield in my own version of the shift didn't work out that well, though - I was tossed (once again) for trying to distract the hitter.

The one thing I'm most famous for, however, is what happened after I told Duke Snider I'd get more press for my 100th homer than he would for his 400th. I was right, too.

Who am I, and why was I right?
Last edited by Arlo on Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jwhands » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:06 am

I remember this guy. He was the Phils cf int he 50s-60s. wound up going to la to finish his career. then went on to hollywood. this guy was an all star, then all of a sudden became a total schizo. what was his name?
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:59 am

I think you're on the wrong track here - this fellow did end his career in California, but never played for the Phils...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:40 am

Jimmy Piersall?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:35 am

Piersall is correct - nice one! ;-D

But why was he right?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Who Am I #4

Postby Lady J » Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:54 pm

I was happy to get the first part right - I don't think I recall the answer to your second question. However, the title of the book and the movie was "Fear Strikes Out" and Piersall was played by Anthony Perkins. Any points for that? O:-)

Lady J
Lady J

Postby Arlo » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:56 pm

Well... ok, since the question went unanswered for so long, you earned a point for the right answer. The question will remain open, though, for anyone who can answer part II...

Darn these holidays that always leave me in a good mood! :-D But nah - the question was a tough one, so you deserve it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anybody have any ideas on why Piersall was right?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Who Am I? #4

Postby Lady J » Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:47 pm

OK. Light bulb goes off, I think. He ran the bases backwards after hitting the 100th HR. :-]

Lady J
Lady J

Postby Arlo » Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:54 pm

He did indeed. Score that run! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Trivia Time Trial