Russ Ortiz underrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Russ Ortiz underrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Russ Ortiz underrated?

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 31, 2004 4:02 pm

sure, he had a rought start, but he's allowed two ER in his last 3+ starts. he's got 6 wins, putting him on pace for 18.

if he just on a hot streak during May, or was everyone just over-reacting when they bemoaned his loss of run support?
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BoogieKnights » Mon May 31, 2004 4:35 pm

I had Ortiz last year and was quite happy to draft him late this year when all the other managers in my league pegged him as a one-year wonder. The guy has incredible control, keeps the HRs to a minimum and is always good for 5-8 Ks a game. 18 wins this season is not out of the question.

One caveat: His last two excellent games (including today) were both against the Expos.

Still, drafting him and Glavine late in my draft is making me look like a friggin' genius.
BoogieKnights
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Mon May 31, 2004 4:41 pm

Nope he's not underrated at all, his control is erratic at best. He walks way too many guys and has a tendency to get in trouble early in the game. He has a lot of early exits as he gets shelled but if he survives the first few innings he usually has a good game. The fact he pitches in ATL and that they have a good IF is the only reason he isn't complete garbage, if he pitches in a place like texas or Phi he'd be a FA level player. Now don't get me wrong, he's useful as a low end member of your pitching rotation, but don't expect him to put up amazing numbers on the year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 31, 2004 5:11 pm

Wow, Ender. Pretty negative assessment...

But how can you say that a guy who's only allowed 4 HR this year have control that's so erratic? He's been decent for the Braves, and he was consistent in the Giant's rotation before that. Since 2000, he's kept his WHIP below 1.40 and his ERA below 4.00. Surly not a top pick, but not waiver fodder either. And striking out 3 per 4 innings isn't too shoddy, either.

He seems worthy of a spot in any 10 team-or-larger league.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sooner711 » Mon May 31, 2004 5:49 pm

I have to agree his control is very erratic, look at how many guys he walks...sure he will probably end up with a decent era but his whip is usually not very good. I can't stand pitchers who continuously walk guys...it'll catch up with him eventually.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedro » Mon May 31, 2004 6:02 pm

Yeah yeah how often do statheads say walks "will catch up to him eventually".

What statheads don't look at is anything outside the realm of numbers. Ortiz is notorious for getting into jams, but he's also notorious for getting out of them.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hawgvike » Mon May 31, 2004 6:55 pm

BoogieKnights wrote: The guy has incredible control

whatever youre smokin, i want some
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers