B.J. UPTON UPDATE THREAD When will he reach the Majors? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

B.J. UPTON UPDATE THREAD When will he reach the Majors?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadxor » Mon May 31, 2004 7:43 pm

I haven't made a waiver move in weeks in my keeper league, just to keep my waiver priority moving up (last was cliff lee... that was a nice pickup). I'm confident I can move up enough in the next couple weeks and snag this stud.
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:02 pm

bump - just keeping the post up there for when Upton does something.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

uh

Postby JOEG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:09 pm

Here is some clipings on Upton that people might find interesting from http://www.ondeckbaseball.com/

SS B.J. Upton went 2-for-3 with a homer and 3 runs scored and CF Joey Gathright was 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored while RHP Dewon Brazelton gave up 2 runs -- one earned -- and 6 hits in 6.2 innings to even his record at 4-4, as Durham (TB) clocked Syracuse (TOR) on Saturday, 7-2. Upton has now gone deep 6 times in 18 games with the Bulls. Gathright was making his Triple-A debut. Not a bad debut, eh? Brazelton lowered his ERA to 4.71. He's given up 61 hits in 49.2 innings this season.

SS B.J. Upton went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI, 2B Jorge Cantu was 2-for-5 with an RBI, and RF Matt Diaz went 2-for-5 with a dinger (4) and 2 runs scored in Durham's (TB) 11-9 slugfest victory over Syracuse (TOR). Upton cannot be stopped. He's hitting .362 in 18 games with the Bulls. Cantu has been playing second base in recent days and he could get a call from the Rays. The 22-year-old infielder is hitting .302 with a team-high 34 RBIs. Diaz is hitting .294 with 26 runs scored in 45 games. LHP Damian Moss was torched for 9 runs -- 8 earned -- and 9 hits in 4.1 innings for Durham. Moss' ERA is now 4.97 in 6 games. RHP Bob File tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief for the SkyChiefs. File has a 0.57 ERA in 10 games.

CF Joey Gathright went 0-for-4 in the game for Montgomery but he was promoted to Triple-A Durham afterwards. The Rays are pushing the fast-forward button with Gathright and B.J. Upton. Tampa's future line-up will see Gathright and Upton hitting #1 and #2. That's near future, by the way.

SS B.J. Upton went 2-for-4 with a homer, a steal, and 2 runs scored and DH Fred McGriff was 3-for-5 with a dinger and 3 ribbies in Durham's (TB) 6-5 road loss to Indianapolis (MIL). Upton is going berserk. The 19-year-old Wunderkind is hitting .375 with 5 homers and 10 runs scored in 12 games with the Bulls. Unreal. McGriff is 5-for-18 (.278) in his first 5 games with Durham. RHP Dewon Brazelton pitched a solid game for Durham, allowing 2 runs -- one earned -- and 6 hits in 6 innings, walking one and K'ing 5. Brazelton has a 5.23 ERA after 9 starts.

6 homers in 18 games!!!! oh oh - stop with the moneyball crap, this guy is fine, sure he's not Kevin Youkils but he's sure not even close to Pedro Feliz. He's an average eye guy, with unreal talent. I would suggest checking your leagues rules about picking up Minor Leagers as this is the guy you want right now!!
Minor League Mentor

Postby Shermars » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:44 pm

When Upton arrives and plays SS, do they move Lugo to 2B? Or do they bench him? TB is in bad need of O.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

yes

Postby JOEG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:46 pm

Yes on the Lugo 2B thing
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcmahojl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:00 pm

Just read through the threads, and this is what I am thinking...Upton, a top prospect that we are all waiting for all winter, was pushed back down to AAA because TB and their incredible decision making skills decided to promote .150 Damian Rolls? But here is my question...Rolls goes on DL last week and now, another chance to bring up Upton for a taste of the bigs, they decide to bring up Charles Gipson. I understand that Gipson is an outfielder, and that may have been the pos they needed to fill, but why make the city of TB, and fantasy owners across the nation hold their breath in anticipation? :-? Oh, wait, I understand now...the TB front office does not want to sacrifice their standings in the AL East by bringing a rookie into the lineup. :-[ Help, someone, preferably the decision making clowns that "proudly" wear sting ray logos on their shirts.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: uh

Postby zepfan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:15 pm

JOEG wrote:6 homers in 18 games!!!! oh oh - stop with the moneyball crap, this guy is fine, sure he's not Kevin Youkils but he's sure not even close to Pedro Feliz. He's an average eye guy, with unreal talent.

Is Upton worth a pickup as soon as he comes up? Once Feliz qualifies at SS he'll be my regular there. Also, I tend to keep away from first year players no matter how much potential they have. See: A-Rod's first year.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:45 pm

mcmahojl wrote:Just read through the threads, and this is what I am thinking...Upton, a top prospect that we are all waiting for all winter, was pushed back down to AAA because TB and their incredible decision making skills decided to promote .150 Damian Rolls? But here is my question...Rolls goes on DL last week and now, another chance to bring up Upton for a taste of the bigs, they decide to bring up Charles Gipson. I understand that Gipson is an outfielder, and that may have been the pos they needed to fill, but why make the city of TB, and fantasy owners across the nation hold their breath in anticipation? :-? Oh, wait, I understand now...the TB front office does not want to sacrifice their standings in the AL East by bringing a rookie into the lineup. :-[ Help, someone, preferably the decision making clowns that "proudly" wear sting ray logos on their shirts.

You make some good points...but I think it has more to do with not wanting Upton's confidence to be ruined if he comes up too early and makes a lot of mistakes, either at the plate or on the field defensively. They are wisely waiting until he knows for himself that he is ready, that's the only way he will live up to his hype.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:24 pm

He was kept down to polish his defense some more. He makes a lot of mistakes at this point of his career defensively at shortstop, so playing some more in the minors wouldn't hurt. He can hit and Tampa knows that Upton's capable of hitting in the pros. But, his defense definitely needs work.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:49 pm

Warrick pretty much nailed it, he was kept down to work on his defensive skills. Which are getting better, last 16 games he has had just 2 errors. Piniella seems like he wants the top prospects up soon, so I wouldn't discount the Drays calling him up when they get back from their current road trip.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers