Set Up Men - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Set Up Men

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Set Up Men

Postby bongovt » Mon May 31, 2004 8:00 am

In a 10 team roto, non keeper...seeking opinions/theories on carrying set up men, where holds do NOT count. Some say this can give you a boost in ERA and WHIP, if they are effective guys on good teams...or even a Brad Lidge can boost K's, as he has more than most of my starters. I am carrying him and LaTroy, who I got in a package deal w/Jo Bo earlier this year as insurance. I need ERA and WHIP help and am going to play them both this week for the hell of it...But are set up men, in general, if the closer spot on that team is not really in jeopardy a wasted roster spot? Appreciate y'all sages thoughts! :-)
bongovt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Mon May 31, 2004 8:15 am

this is a topic that i think you will find debated, as it has before. I believe that if you have the room for guys like Lidge, then yeah, they are quite effective and have value. The thing is in a 10 team league, chances are there will be enough closers to go round, with maybe one or two spare (Biddle is gathering dust on our FA list). I think it just depends on how you are for saves, how many spots you have, and who you have. How many pitching spots do you have? In a standard yahoo league they typically have 2 RP and 3 P slots. So in that case, i would try and fill maybe 4 of them with closers, and one of them with a reliever - just as an example. But if you have a couple of cadillac closers like gagne or wagner, foulke, rivera, smoltz, then you may not need them as much either. I jus prefer to get as many closers on my team as possible, if there are any relief spots left, get a guy to hedge your ERA and WHIP with some K's (and it doesnt get much better than Lidge or K-Rod). Also look at a guy like Scott Shields, who in my opinion has enormous value in ANY league. He has great endurance (remember he started half of the 2003 season) and has great stuff, gets alot of K's, keeps the era and whip down, and is used alot in long relief, which means he can come up with the vulture wins and even some saves. He MAY even get a shot in that rotation. Oh, and he has SP/RP eligibility in yahoo.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bongovt » Mon May 31, 2004 9:47 pm

thanks for your response...in my league, their are no requirements other than you must start one player at each position, with a roster of 29: 23 active, 6 bench or injured, as we have no DL...so this leaves 10 required spots, and 13 to do as you please with...I appreciate your answer! Here is my roster...if anything more specific comes to mind!
CBS Roto, 10 team 5X5, big roster-only 6 on bench, rosters set only weekly, no IR or waivers-free agents are a free for all, multi pos. elig.in parenth. ....
C-Estrada
1B-Giambi, Pujols(OF)
2B-Uribe(SS,3B)
SS-Renteria
3B-Castilla, Mora(OF), Feliz(1B,SS)
DH-Konerko (1B)
OF-A.Jones, Burnitz, Green(1B), Mondesi
SP-Wood, Mussina, Colon, Glavine, Washburn, Garland, Milton, Ol.Perez
RP-Gagne, Borowski, Mesa, Julio,Hawkins, Baez, Lidge
bongovt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor