No Starting Pitchers H2H strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No Starting Pitchers H2H strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Starting Pitchers H2H strategy

Postby djhjf » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:12 am

I'm trying something new on one of my teams this year. So far I'm loving it tell me what you think. I'm in a 5x5 Head 2 Head. By drafting 0 starting pitchers, my goal is to build an unbeatable offense and pack my pitchers full of closers and solid set up men. My offense turned out okay, Bellhorn at 2nd is my only major risk, I feel Aurillia will have good season. I lack some speed however with Abreu, Winn generally starting I should do okay on SB and can always throw Dave Roberts in when I need extra SB and run support. I see no real need for Ibanez. Preston Wilson now in Colorado is hopefully underrated (got in in round 13). My goal is to trade either of them for a Castillo or Spivey when they heat up. Here's my current roster. That will stil leave me with Bellhorn or unnamed player to cover the infield on days off and D. Roberts/J. Encarcion to cover the outfield.

Any suggestions to improve my team? Any comments on my strategy? Thanks.

C: Rodriguez
1b: Giambi
2b: Bellhorn
3b: Glaus
SS: Aurillia
OF: Abreu
OF: C. Jones
OF: R. Winn

Bench: OF - Preston Wilson, Salmon, Ibanez (1b), Encarcion, Dave Roberts.

Closers: K. Sasaki, J. Julio, J. Isringhausen (DL - S. Kline keeping his spot warm), Embree/Timlin (bos. committee)

RP: Chris Hammond, Buddy Groom, JC Romero
djhjf
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Josh » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:23 am

most leagues have a minimum inning requirement, so you might want to check that, if not, should be interestign. I like building balanced teams myself, but an interesting experiment
Josh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danks81 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:12 pm

Your relievers are nothing special. This plan will bomb.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Josh » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:16 pm

I never looked at his team before, but the lineup is nothing special either. Considering you have no starters, the hitters are pretty poor.
Josh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danks81 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:18 pm

Who was your first pick? Giambi?
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cincyreds » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:35 pm

KAAAAAAA BOOOOOOOOOM!!!

:-t
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

Postby Mordraken » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:12 pm

I did a closer-only in a public Yahoo league a few years ago. Came in first, but here is what I did...

First, you need two STUD starters. I had Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux. I also picked up Rick Ankeil and Kerry Wood (his one & only good year...). That trio (Johnson, Ankeil & Wood) gave me a shot at strikeouts, and kept me in the middle of the pack in that category. They were all excellent with ERA and WHIP.

Second, I had 3 of the top 5 closers, and 1 other top 10. If I remember right, it was Hoffman, Nen and Urbina, with I think Zimmerman (yeah... it was a while ago). The good thing about those guys is tha they all pitched regularly and had a decent number of strikeouts.

Third, I had a couple of great WHIP guys - like Dotel & Arthur Rhodes. People that wern't closers but gave great numbers elsewhere.

The idea was to SAVE money on starters (well, I'd use two of my top 5 picks on starters, but then nothing else until past round 12) and get a monopoly on the great closers. That will guarantee you win Saves, and give you a solid shot at ERA and WHIP. With a heavy strikeout guy you won't be in the bottom 1/3 of the league in Ks either. That give you (in roto terms) a top flight pitching staff, giving you top marks in 3 of the 5 categories and top 1/2 in one other category.

Your team just doesn't have that... You have ONE top flight closer, and 2 ranked somewhere in the 8-15 range, then another 2 in the bottom half of the league... just not enough to dominate all three categories (S, WHIP, ERA). If they all hold onto their jobs, you'll probably win saves just by sheer numbers though, but a team with (perhaps) Rivera and Nen might beat your entire staff and post better WHIP and ERA.

To top that off, your hitting is weak for a 12 team league with only one star pitcher. My prediction would be bottom third of the league for this team... sorry.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:41 pm

A plan using no starting pitchers is a bust. I've already tried it, and I had better hitting and pitching than your team does. Relievers are just too unreliable, and you need lots of innings to keep the ERA and WHIP down.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NY1b23 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:55 pm

I don't think this team will give you the chance to evaluate the merits of your idea because you didn't put together a very good offense with all your picks. How many teams in the league - 14?
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:21 pm

I don't think your offense is anything special unless this is a 20 team league. Besides without any SP you sacrifice wins and K's if you play a smart team and it is not guaranteed that you win WHIP or ERA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers