SS Recommendations anyone... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SS Recommendations anyone...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SS Recommendations anyone...

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:36 am

Lucky me -- I hate the Yankees and tend to downgrade them a bit in my draft, yet nonetheless got Jeter in my 13 team league, as he had fallen to my pick in the second round (23rd overall) and I perceived him to be the best value.

Anyway, with a 13 team league and 24 man teams, only dregs are left for backups. My original backup (and now starter) is Alex Gonzalez. Below is the list of available SS candidates. Roto league with batting stats of the normal 5 plus strikeouts and OPS. Any thoughts as to which of these "studs" I should take are appreciated.

Really what I'm looking for are any thoughts as to anyone who might be better than Alex Gonzalez, or that might have good "upside" potential. I'd prefer to not take anybody if they don't at least have the potential to be an upgrade over what I have now. I'll do other manueverings instead if all these guys just basically suck (which is pretty much what I'm thinking).

Royce Clayton
Cesar Izturis
Julio Lugo
Carlos Guillen
Craig Counsell
Neifi Perez
Alex Cora
Omar Infante
Angel Berroa
Deivi Cruz
Andy Fox
Desi Relaford
Abraham Nunez
jack Wilson
Ramon Santiago
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danks81 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:30 pm

I'd pick up Royce Clayton. I'd also keep an eye on the young Yankees Shortstop that is going to fill in for Jeter. Erik Almonte is his name.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:24 pm

Which Alex Gonzalez do you have? The Cubs' SS got off to a good start this year, and he has surprising power when he's on top of his game. He has the potential to be a top 10 SS (although not much better than that). The Marlins' SS, on the other hand, doesn't look like anything special to me. I'm kinda hoping Andy Fox gets the chance to start later in the year.

Julio Lugo or Royce Clayton would probably be the best option if you're not confident in Gonzalez's ability to produce. But if you have the Cubs' SS, and you trust that he'll hit 15-20 HR's with about a .250 or better average, then neither one is much of an upgrade. And both have little upside.

If you're looking for a possible sleeper, I'd go with Cesar Izturis. There has been a little talk about him, and he does have potential. He could potentially hit about .280 with 30 or more SB's. Craig Counsell is also a respectable option, considering his eligibility for multiple positions, but again has little upside. On the other hand, he'll likely post the best BA of any of your options.

Basically, if you have the Cubs' Alex Gonzalez, I'd pick up Izturis. If you have the Marlins' Alex Gonzalez, I'd drop him and pick up Counsell and any one of the other 3 mentioned above.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:48 pm

I'd say Lugo, but Jeter's replacement Almonte is supposed to be a great prospect.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 352)

Postby kcs261 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:04 pm

Don't be fooled by Clayton's HR yesterday. Clayton isn't going to do anything this year. If healthy, I'd probably give Carlos Guillen a shot. If Woodward is sitting on the WW (and he is not on your list), I'd give him a shot, too.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Talos » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:20 pm

Trade for Woodward, he'll cost you next to nothing and will be a great improvment on that list.
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:23 pm

For the record, the Alex Gonzalez I have is the Cubbies' Gonzalez. The other one isn't worth drafting, even in a 13 team league. :-B

Thanks for your thoughts. I will consider the matter. Jeter will go on DL tomorrow and then I will make my decision.

(note: if anyone else has thoughts, definitely chime in. Thanks in advance).
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Guru_fbc » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:34 pm

you sure almonte is filling in for jeter and not wilson?
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mordraken » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:39 pm

Well, I know they're not on your list, but some others to look for are...

Ramon Vasquez (SS - SD)
David Eckstine (Ana)

I wouldn't recommend the Yankees SS. Here's the skinny on him from Rototimes.com:

Almonte hit .235 in 66 games with Triple-A Columbus and .241 in 53 games with Double-A Norwich last season.

Checking Baseballamerica.com:

221 AB, 10 doubles, 1 3B, 9 HRs, 28 RBIs, 25 Runs, 2 SB. 15BB:50Ks .412 SLG, .282 OBP = 700 OPS. 18 errors in 55 games.
(edit: projected ove a season with 600 ABs, that would be 24 homers, 5 SB, 76 RBIs and 68 runs with a .235 BA)

He may be a prospect, but he's FAR FAR away from the MLs. Go for a proven player - this guy hasn't even cracked .250 in the minors.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kcs261 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:59 pm

If Eckstein is on the WW, JUMP ALL OVER HIM!!

But, honestly, there is absolutely no reason in the world that he should have gone undrafted in any league. SSs who hit .290-.300 and steal 20-30 bags don't grow on trees. Although he doesn't have the "name", I wouldn't even consider him a signficant downgrade from Jeter.
Last edited by kcs261 on Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers