Will Rhodes lose his job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Rhodes lose his job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Rhodes lose his job?

Postby josebach » Sun May 30, 2004 7:25 pm

Anybody have any idea as to whether or not he's going to keep his job as closer? Nobody has any confidence in him.

4 Blown Saves in 12 attempts pretty much sucks.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eftda » Sun May 30, 2004 7:29 pm

The A's might use a different pitcher the next time that they can get a save, but I think they will give Rhodes some time off, but I still see him closing in September
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby G-Man » Sun May 30, 2004 7:35 pm

the A's flrited with a committee earlier tjis season and after saying they intended to exclusively use rohdes in closing opps it wouldn't be out of the question to see mecir back in the mix.

rhodes certainly has been erratic though after looking great a week ago..... :-o
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Sun May 30, 2004 7:37 pm

forgot to mention also that rotoworld's descriptions of his blown saves doesn't make it seem like they were solely his fault (crappy defense and lucky hits contributed, but I didn't see the games myself so take that for what you will....)
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Will Rhodes lose his job?

Postby NZF » Sun May 30, 2004 8:21 pm

josebach wrote:Anybody have any idea as to whether or not he's going to keep his job as closer? Nobody has any confidence in him.

4 Blown Saves in 12 attempts pretty much sucks.

Funny, we're not hearing much from the Billy Beane supporters out there who thought Rhodes success was a given because Beane was 100% at turning average relievers into stud closers.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sun May 30, 2004 8:23 pm

they committed to him with his contract, and i think they will stick with him. They may give him some time off, but he will be back eventually.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Sun May 30, 2004 8:30 pm

mecir, bradford, Duchscherer...

the list pf possible replacements doesn't look to promising does it ? beside a contending team would be a lot less willing to experiment with their closer, unlike say the Indians. at least thats what i would i think... like othe posts have already said even if ge doesn't get the next couple of oak save opps., he should back as the closer pretty soon. another good point is that the A's ussually dont like to make trades too much, they're less likely to trade for someone...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Sun May 30, 2004 9:37 pm

The idea that the A's ever entered a semi comitee a few weeks ago is untrue. Obviously I live here and follow the A's closely, the only reason why Mecir picked up a save a while back instead of Rhodes was b/c Rhodes needed a couple days off to rest a tiny injury. The A's or Macha have never gone to a commitee this season or even come close. Rhodes is still the guy they will give the ball to in the 9th inning, however as we have seen lately Macha is not against just leavin Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Harden, or Redman in to finish their own game since the bullpen is hardly capable.

The way I see it, Rhodes is horrible and Mecir is even WORSE, there is no way Jim Mecir can close games, every time I hear the rumors that he is next in line I laugh, trust me, Rocky Biddle and Joe Borowski have been 10x better then Mecir this year and in the past.

The 2 best RP the A's have are Bradford & Duscherer. Macha does not trust a submariner in the 9th inning, although Bradford is clearly better then Rhodes and everyone else in that bullpen. Im not sure they would have Duschere close simply b/c he has the ability to pitch a lot off innings, he is a starter but there is no room for him in the A's rotation, he would be in just about every other rotation in the bigs.

I can't see Rhodes holding onto this job too much longer. Either the A's will trade for someone, or they will be forced to make Duscherer into a closer at least for this year.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun May 30, 2004 10:34 pm

GSes: Word! :-) exactly my thoughts. I dunno who they will give up to get a closer though if they opted to trade? And to me, Ducsherer doesnt make sense to be the closer to me, like you said he is a long reliever. I bet they are kicking themselves for trading Harville now....he had closer type stuff.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MyAddidas » Mon May 31, 2004 12:33 am

I think Derchesher sp? would make a fine closer and can't see how they aren't entertaining that option. Nasty stuff. Only seen him live twice but was obviously impressed.
MyAddidas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers