Trade rumors everywhere round Seattle even Ichiro not Safe?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade rumors everywhere round Seattle even Ichiro not Safe??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun May 30, 2004 7:57 pm

Ichiro is the best table-setter in baseball. his value to a real life team surpasses by-far his value to a fantasy team. not only is he the best defensive RF in the game, but nobodies mastered the art of spray hitting like he has. what people dont see is how many times he gets on base by error. how many times infielders rush throws and make bad plays because of his speed alone. ask any manager and they will tell you, he is the very last person you want on base in any situation, with any count. he has more pop in his bat then some of the better power hitters...but his role is to slap hit, put ball into play and make regular contact to get on base. but if there are men on with two outs, he will swing for the fence , and to this day my jaw drops at the kind of bat speed such a small man posseses. he is a baseball player in every form. and to say he's overrated is asasinine. did i mention he can throw the ball an accurate 95MPH ??

he is the type of player you make room for regardless of who you have in your OF, if there is any chance you can get him, any gm / manager will make every necessary adjustment to get him in the line up. he is invalueable to any team.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Sun May 30, 2004 8:04 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:Ichiro is the best table-setter in baseball. his value to a real life team surpasses by-far his value to a fantasy team. not only is he the best defensive RF in the game, but nobodies mastered the art of spray hitting like he has. what people dont see is how many times he gets on base by error. how many times infielders rush throws and make bad plays because of his speed alone. ask any manager and they will tell you, he is the very last person you want on base in any situation, with any count. he has more pop in his bat then some of the better power hitters...but his role is to slap hit, put ball into play and make regular contact to get on base. but if there are men on with two outs, he will swing for the fence , and to this day my jaw drops at the kind of bat speed such a small man posseses. he is a baseball player in every form. and to say he's overrated is asasinine. did i mention he can throw the ball an accurate 95MPH ??

he is the type of player you make room for regardless of who you have in your OF, if there is any chance you can get him, any gm / manager will make every necessary adjustment to get him in the line up. he is invalueable to any team.

Good post ;-D

I think people forget how great a defensive player Ichiro is. Fact is teams just don't test him anymore because he's got a CANNON in RF, probably the best arm in the game. Add to that the fact that he's got blazing speed and can therefore cover as much ground as anyone and he's easily one of the best defensive players in the league.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KPucks » Sun May 30, 2004 8:53 pm

eftda wrote:The Atlanta Braves. there is talk of them moving Chipper back to 3rd and getting another outfielder.

Again I'll say that I don't see the Braves moving Chipper back to third. His defense isn't good enough and he isn't durable enough to take the punishment of playing third anymore. These are some of the reasons he was moved to the OF in the first place.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 30, 2004 8:54 pm

Seattle has said everyone's available except Ichiro.

Ichiro is a good RF, but in reality, he is overrated. A career 814 OPS isn't thast huge for a RF. A career 374 OBA shows he's not the best table setter. He needs to walk more, and hit for a bit more power. SB in real life aren't worth what some think they are. Ichiros career OPS + is 121, nice, but not really star territory. Hes more image, then numbers. Salmon as a comparision has a 131 career OPS+, and he gets no mention. What Ichiro brings is a image to the Asian community here in Seattle.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun May 30, 2004 9:14 pm

Although I love using stats to back up my arguements I dont think you can in this case.

Ichiro batting lead off, in a line up with what used to be some of the better power hitters in the game doesnt need to hit for any power. Remember lets keep this MLB oriented and not fantasy. Yes he's a RF, but how can you compare a spray hitting lead off hitter like ichiro to a power hitter like salmon? thats like comparing position stats in the NFL.

And a point I mentioned above was how everytime he makes contact with the ball, whether it be dribblers or shots at the infield, he is a threat to be safe at first. he purposely swings at everything 'close' to get the ball in play and make the fielders have to beat him with a good throw, he's 25% the length to first base with'n tenths of seconds following the balls contact on the bat. one thing on base perentage doesn't show you is, how many times he's been safe at first due to bad throws bobbled balls, and or any other speed respecting fielding errors. and OPS is 'null' when argueing a lead off hitters value to a team.

I respect statiticians, and or any other person who evaluates talents strictly off ratios and %'s, but any baseball loving person, who coaches, watches games, and has common sense in evaluating skill will tell you how much of an asset this guy is when your formula is to win ball games.

Defense in baseball is greatly underrated, as well as contact hitters, and great ones at that.
Last edited by fantasyfiend on Sun May 30, 2004 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trac02 » Sun May 30, 2004 9:16 pm

If Guardado gets shipped to Chicago, does he become closer there or would they put him in middle relief?
Oliver Perez watch

3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in 10 starts

23 BB, 8 HR and 72 K in 65 IP (9.97 K/9)

2 complete games, 1 shutout
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun May 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Everyday eddie is a top 5 closer in baseball. ofcourse he'd be closer.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trac02 » Sun May 30, 2004 9:28 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:Everyday eddie is a top 5 closer in baseball. ofcourse he'd be closer.

I ask only because ML managers have a tendency to do strange things when it comes to loyalty...witness the fact that Borowski is still closer for the Cubs.
Oliver Perez watch

3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in 10 starts

23 BB, 8 HR and 72 K in 65 IP (9.97 K/9)

2 complete games, 1 shutout
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KPucks » Sun May 30, 2004 9:28 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:Everyday eddie is a top 5 closer in baseball. ofcourse he'd be closer.

You think Guardado is better than Gagne, Smoltz, Mariano Rivera, Foulke, and Wagner?
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers