My Pitching Strategy for my Yahoo! 5x5 Roto League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Pitching Strategy for my Yahoo! 5x5 Roto League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Pitching Strategy for my Yahoo! 5x5 Roto League

Postby fantasynick » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:16 am

My strategy is based on closers

My Starters
Roy Halladay (start every time)
Kerry Wood (start every time)
Wade Miller (start every time)
Randy Wolf (favorable matchup)
Joel Piniero (favorable matchup)

My Relievers
John Smoltz
Mariano Rivera (I'm subbing in Acevedo until he's off the DL)
Jorge Julio
Danys Baez

I can start 2 SPs, 2 RPs, and 3 Ps. My strategy is to start as many closers as possible(4-5) and take the saves category. I'm also hoping to pick up a few cheap wins. My innings limit is 1250. Do you think I'll hit it with my relievers strategy.

I don't see any drawback to this strategy. Starters are worthless when they're not starting. Why not plug in as many relievers as possible while also racking up some decent innings with your stud starters?
fantasynick

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:21 am

Nope, no drawbacks to that strategy. And reaching 1250 innings shouldn't be a problem, either.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:47 am

You should do fine with that strategy.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:57 am

I'm kinda doing the same thing. Pedro, Morris, Wood and Millwood starting. Foulke, Williamson, Acevedo, Dejean for the saves. I did it last year with five SP but hit the innings limit about 3 weeks early. So I got Contreras since he will probally work his way into starting sometime this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Egregious » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:23 pm

It looks like a good staff and a good strategy. You might want to watch your innings carefully, though - I played in a league with a 1500 inning limit (that's max - not min), and I ended up using up my innings more than 3 weeks before the season ended. I still ended up in the top third in all the pitching categories except Ks, though.
Egregious
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:29 pm

Thats the strategy I've been using for a few years now, except for that one last year when I tried to punt saves :-t , I usually draft lower closers late in the draft . It works like a charm so far, never been less than 10th out of 12 teams yet.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:00 pm

that's pretty much the best strategy there is. i always get the mental image of snagging saves.. like they're out there, they're bound to happen, and its just a matter of getting them.

typically, i make a read on the league to determine how many closers i start with. usually 2 or 3. then throughout the course of the year, there's always something like 5 closers who come out of nowhere (see juan acevedo in '02), so the key is to keep your ear to the ground, catch some baseball tonight, then figure out who's going to materialize... typically, the best strategy is to be able to have all of your starters going for that given day, then use the rest of the slots to catch as many saves as possible.

btw, inning limits are a godsend. last year on yahoo my friend's gf, coincidentally the league comissioner's GF, had a total juggernaught of an offense, but absolutely no pitching. so midway through, or early on, when he realized he was going to lose and i was going to catch his GF with my balanced team, he cut off the innings limit... oh the horror of watching this. she'd pick 6 joe schmoe starters each and every day, start themn.. invariably, she took the lead in wins and Ks by quite some margin, held on to her offensive juggernaught status, and then squeezed me out into second place within the last two weeks of the season. naturally, i threw a fit because it was cheap, the people told me to shut up, i told them to procreate themselves, and now they'll never play fantasy with me again.

hasta
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:30 pm

sinicalypse thats one of the better horror stories I've heard, procreate themselves ..... classic
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Talos » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:33 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:It works like a charm so far, never been less than 10th out of 12 teams yet.

Do I have things ass backwards, or does that sound like a less the ringing endorsement :-[
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:37 pm

Do I have things ass backwards, or does that sound like a less the ringing endorsement

I've been known to trade from my strengths to improve a weakness now and again ;-D
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers