SS Nomar
OF Patterson
OF Edmonds
OF Dye
Util McGriff
DL Manny Ramirez

SP Astacio, Zito, David Wells, Roy Halladay, Matt Clement, Orlando Hernandez
RP Urbina, Mesa, Hoffman, Nunez, DeJean

I'm in a head to head league, I'm thinking hard about going to a new strategy where i would have an open pitching spot and i would pick up a pitcher that would be pitching that day then drop him the next day and get another one who is pitching. I'm just looking for help on what moves i might want to make positions to fill and whether this would be a smart move or not.

Some available starting pitchers in my league include: Ohka, Rodrigo Lopez, Rueter, Chuck Finley, Harang, Marquis, Tomko, Maroth, Moss, Johnson, Baez.
SweetSwing

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:18 pm

That's a lot of quality that's still available. If you won't get in trouble in terms of innings pitched (or games - whichever your league limits), then this strategy should work (I'd drop El Duque, by the way).

If you do this, you should obviously try to exploit both matchups (weaker opposing starters will raise the chances of getting a win, for instance) and ballparks (visits to Detroit look pretty good...).

It's certainly an interesting strategy, but you can't expect to get lucky all the time. There will be stretches when you seem to always pick the guy who gets shelled, while the pitcher you almost went with hurled a gem. Just stick with it; if you play the matchups well, you'll come out ahead in the end. Good luck with this!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

If I was you

Postby n_tremain23 » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:35 am

I would drop El Duque and David Wells, and pick up Ohka and Rueter. Both are quality starters and having good seasons, if either start to go on a downslide pick up Rodrigo Lopez who is also having a stellar year
n_tremain23

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:08 pm

I've been using this strategy all season in a H2H league. This strategy would be murder in ROTO but can kinda help H2H. My results are mixed but I'll give you the details. You might actually do a little better as you have slightly better FA pitchers available.

My league is 6x6 (W, CG, SV, K, ERA, WHP). I've only "augmented" starters, typically 4-5 a week, and only used the strategy 10 of 12 weeks due to vacation. I've kept a detailed spreadsheet of how both my core and augmented staff performed each week and how that relates to my H2H results.

The strategy has directly accounted for wins or ties 12 times:
(6 in K's, 3 in CG's, 2 in W's, 1 in ERA)

The strategy has directly accounted for losses or ties 5 times:
(3 in WHP, 2 in ERA)

It's always going to at least help in K's and probably wins but will hurt your ERA and WHP most weeks (it negatively impacted ERA 8 of 10 weeks and WHP 7 of 10)

Before you go nuts over my 12-5 results, THREE WORDS OF CAUTION:
1) The BIGGIE: Do your categories match mine? (not counting CG and K's, I would've only benefitted 3 times)
2) My 12 wins are greatly skewed by one game last Saturday. I was in an extremely tight match and Ted Lilly's 11K, CG, 1-0 W either won or tied 4 categories on it's own. That was PURE LUCK!!!
3) My best guess is this week the strategy is going to kill and will likely cost me both the ERA and WHP cats.

I too would drop El Duque if I needed an open slot to play with.

Postby dannahann » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:14 pm

Somehow I keep logging myself out.

Sorry, wanted to include my username so you would know who ran these spreadsheets discussed in the last post just incase you needed any more info.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:28 pm

8-o My hardcore fantasy junkie detector (patent pending) is beeping and blinking like crazy...

Great stuff! What are your criteria for choosing starters? Ballpark? Opponent? Fatigue, even?

Luck or not, that's a pretty sweet success rate - congratulations. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:43 pm

Usually pick by matchup (team and opposing starter) and ballpark. I do consider fatigue (travel, extra days off) and adjust for interleague nuances (AL starters pulled earlier, NL starters getting a shot at AL pitchers) but to a lesser extent. I'm really not doing as well with wins as I would have hope though. I also sometimes target a specific category I really need that week. Best examples I can think of, I look to use Duckworth (killed me last nite) if K's happen to be a special need that week.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 65)

My Team

Postby SweetSwing » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the info....mine is a 5x5 with wins saves k's era and whip, so far this strategy is killing my team. I started tomko, okha, rueter, and moss is today...i think i might try to stick with it as my core isnt very good, but i would like to try to trade those FA 'scrubs' for something better if someone is dumb enough to do that. My ERA is around 4.5 and my WHIP at 1.4 for this week, wins....1.... k's are fairly high and my saves are good as i quite a few relievers. i was wondering what you would think of this trade?

I give: corey patterson and trevor hoffman

i get: oliver perez and andruw jones

I give: astacio, okha, wells

I get: morris, woody williams

also i dropped mike dejean and picked up peavy...he looked interesting.
SweetSwing

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:18 pm

The first deal depends on whether you can easily spare Hoffman's saves. If yes, it should be fine, but if not, I'd decline. Hoffman has the single most important quality in a closer: reliability. It can be hard to replace that.

The second deal looks fairly even - you'd be getting not only two solid starters, but also a free roster spot. Morris is the true prize here - I'd take this deal if given the chance.

And you're right - Peavy does look very interesting. I think he'll eventually be an excellent player; the only question is how long it will take him to get there. He'll have some ups and downs this season, but his potential is great.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers