Rumor: Beltran to Philly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Beltran to Philly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun May 30, 2004 12:41 am

The ROYALS would be silly not to take that offer. They won't get more than that. Gavin's one of the Top 5 pitching prospects in the game right now and Byrd's definitely got the ability to put up .280 15+ HR's and 20+ SB's in the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't do that if I were the Phillies.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sun May 30, 2004 12:45 am

Longhorns76 wrote:My mouth says that Oakland will sneak in there and pick him up for the second half of the year if they are in the running still before the deadline. Of course I don't see Oakland actually signing him afterwards but for 1/2 a season, they could get alot out of him.

The Royals would want oo much fromt he A's... Players like Harden and sucurto would be in the trade... players that the A's have to keep for the playoffs and for the years to come.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sun May 30, 2004 2:27 am

I think KC would do it if itw ere Utley and Floyd...there is no need for Byrd here at all....he hasnt proven a ton in the bigs anyway when it coems to putting up consistent #s

Byrd = David Dejesus in my book....

but if we got Utley and Gavin, I think Baird should take it, heck KC could even throw in Desi Relaford and maybe get a lil more in return
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Sun May 30, 2004 2:53 am

While Beltran is valuable an Utley/Floyd for Beltran trade would be insane. No way in the world a team would give up that much, no matter how many scrub utility guys like Desi were thrown in.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby matmat » Sun May 30, 2004 4:44 am

Tavish wrote:While Beltran is valuable an Utley/Floyd for Beltran trade would be insane. No way in the world a team would give up that much, no matter how many scrub utility guys like Desi were thrown in.

unless KC somehow managed to pull off a sign and trade with beltran... I think if philly were guaranteed beltran for the next, oh... 5 years, they'd give up utley and floyd.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun May 30, 2004 11:04 am

RoxSolid wrote:comin from philly while beltran would be a great addition, floyd is a cornerstone for the future and if the phillies have any feeling they can not sign beltran long term they would NEVER do this deal, and even if they could it will still take ed wade weeks to ponder, i highly doubt it goes down.

The Phillies have a good chance this year, and getting Beltran to replace Byrd might be the missing pice of the puzzle. As my preseason pick to win the World Series, this helps them solidify their spot atop the NL East once Florida collapses.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby trac02 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 am

This trade makes a lot of sense from both teams' standpoints. These days if you've got a shot at the World Series you've got to go for it, even if it means trading away a prospect like a Floyd or a Hamels. Besides, the cardinal rule of young players is this: There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect. Having Beltran in the same lineup as Thome, Abreu and Burrell is frightening.
Oliver Perez watch

3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in 10 starts

23 BB, 8 HR and 72 K in 65 IP (9.97 K/9)

2 complete games, 1 shutout
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sun May 30, 2004 11:31 am

I assumed Hamels was an untouchable, perhaps the arm injury change that?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby swingaway » Sun May 30, 2004 11:42 am

In a blockbuster 4 way deal between boston, arizona, seattle, kc

the diamondbacks trade the unit,mantei and prospects for beltran then boston trades lowe, williamson, and prospects to kc for the unit and mantei or just unit. Then arizona to say money trades luis gonzalez to seattle for moyer and prospects.

This would really stick it to the yankees as they cannot counter we another blokcbuster trade since the other top quality players wont go no where. :-D
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Crazy Horse » Sun May 30, 2004 12:16 pm

I definately could dig seeing Beltran in red. ;-D There are so many scenarios surrounding him right now.
BRILLIANT!
Crazy Horse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers