Is Bernie washed up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Bernie washed up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby perlick29 » Sat May 29, 2004 5:39 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
kcs261 wrote:He's not worth a #1 priority. However, as a 4th OFer on a fantasy team, I don't think he's a bad option in the Yankees' lineup. I also don't think he's washed up. He's not a .330 hitter. But he could hover around .290-.300. The guy is only 34, which isn't that old.

I would agree with much of what you wrote except a few things. He is almost 36 and he is an old 35. He has been banged up over the past few years. Keep in mind that he is typically a slow starter. ;-)

And to add on, you have to use the law of averages and expect guys like him and Jeter and Sheffield to break out, and they have. Now in that lineup Bernie has more value than you think: He'll help you in runs, Rbi's nad avg, 3 cat's we could all use a boost in. Buy him low or pick him up if he's still out there. By the way my sleeper of the week was Hideki Matsui. That was a good call and someone else that deserves a second look.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Sat May 29, 2004 6:39 pm

HR Bernie Williams. Fellas, the guy has been heating up the last couple weeks. You'd have to be blind to deny this fact. Again, as a 4th OFer, I think he's a pretty good option. I'm not going to go crazy blowing this guy's horn. But anybody who dismisses him flat-out has to be a Yankees' hater.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 29, 2004 7:14 pm

I'm in an 8 teamer and I picked him up 2 weeks ago when he got on his hot streak. He's obviously not the Bernie of old, but his skills haven't just diminished. He still has something to offer for fantasy teams, as I am enjoying his hot streak in my UTL spot right now... ;-D

I wouldn't spend a #1 priority on him though.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Sat May 29, 2004 8:02 pm

3 for 4 today thus far with a HR. What was that about slow bat speed? Glad I have him in my lineup today; that's all I know! ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mr Last Place » Sat May 29, 2004 8:07 pm

kcs261 wrote:3 for 4 today thus far with a HR. What was that about slow bat speed? Glad I have him in my lineup today! ;-D

Still only batting .233 with and .slg .358 before today's game for the year and .264 with a .414 slg for the month of may
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Sat May 29, 2004 8:45 pm

Mr Last Place wrote:
kcs261 wrote:3 for 4 today thus far with a HR. What was that about slow bat speed? Glad I have him in my lineup today! ;-D

Still only batting .233 with and .slg .358 before today's game for the year and .264 with a .414 slg for the month of may

Ok, now go back and analyze the last week. Players shouldn't be necessarily judged by a month, the DH Bernie plays the better he will hit, put Kenny Lofton out there I say, Bernie will bang the ball.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers