"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bboy » Sat May 29, 2004 3:27 am

KolbSaves wrote:generally, words that end in e drop the e when "ing" is added as a suffix

Your sentence omitted a capital letter at the beginning and a full stop the end. Technically you should have also said "the suffix" and not "a suffix."

;-7
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat May 29, 2004 3:29 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:Thanx. You are right in that I put the note there simply to cover my ass. I didn't want people to figure out my strategy until after I had the SP/RP closers. But, I also wanted to be able to show them the note in case this exact situation hapenned. I figured out this strategy last year and I'm simply employing it again. As a member of the league, competing for the pot, it would not be wise to reveal my startegy to everybody. But, as commissioner, I have some responsibility to inform people of the rules and etc. The question is, where does my responsibility start and end? I thought that posting the note was enough. I didn't care if anybody read it. It is like a contract. If someone signs it, it is his responsibility to read what it says. He can't argue that he missed clause 2b and therefore is not bound to it. People gave me 25 bucks in an implied contract (ex: by eating at a restaurant, even though you do not sign anything it is implied that you will pay at the end). I made the rules, we drafted, they got screwed. Their fault, not mine.

Am I right or do you disagree?

As commisioner in a $$league/pool, responsibility invloves more than posting a commissioners message. If you did not at least e-mail everyone or inform them person to person then I am inclined to believe you are in the wrong to a certaine degree.

I say that because I am in a few leagues with guys that are too busy to go to the league homepage more than once or twice a week. They set their league preferances up so that they recieve daily reports of who was added&dropped/message board posts/league news/ and all other fantasy stuff of relevance sent to their email's. They only log into the site once or twice a week to make their waiver moves and set their lineups as almost all other aspects of league correspondence are done through e-mail. I dont hold that against them one bit as they are still fully active and competetive as me without the benefit of checking into the league every day. If the only notice they got was a commissioners message than , Yes, you are somewhat in the wrong.

If the scenario I described above reflects on your situation then I think you should probably consider means to pacify everyone, even if you have to kick back some cash.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby c0n0r » Sat May 29, 2004 3:37 am

Your posts keep giving me a bad vibe. You set up the game with strategy in mind as far as how to get over on the others. Kinda like an unfair home field advantage. Why not tell them out right about the strategy and whoever implements it the best so be it.

If by chance they ever do join your league again they wont trust any of your intentions or actions - at least I wouldnt.

Dont get me totally wrong - I would definitely sign up again if you pulled this on me - but only in an attempt to put it to you when all things were equal.

First time shame on you - but any other time after that shame on me.
My team would have WON if they hadnt LOST
c0n0r
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat May 29, 2004 3:41 am

All I did was post the message before the draft. Why is it the commish's responsibility to make sure that everyone knows the rules? They're there for everyone to see and if an owner does not know the rules then that's his problem. Don't forget I'm competing against these people. I'm not prepared to hold their hands and give away my strategies without them doing any research or independant thinking to come to the same conclusions. I posted the message to lead them in the right direction, but I didn't explicitly outline my plan.

This just looks suspect because I am commish. But I think I gave them fair warning...
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 29, 2004 3:41 am

bboy wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:generally, words that end in e drop the e when "ing" is added as a suffix

Your sentence omitted a capital letter at the beginning and a full stop the end. Technically you should have also said "the suffix" and not "a suffix."

;-7

it's not a sentence and there's nothing wrong with saying "a suffix" in that situation
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bboy » Sat May 29, 2004 3:46 am

So basically syntax doesn't matter, hence the tongue in cheek thingy. That also wasn't a sentence.
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 29, 2004 3:46 am

also, I think I mostly agree with Kelly Gruber on this one (since I'm posting in this thread I guess)

There have been situations in two of my leagues where people are on pace to obliterate the innings pitched limit, but I explained it before the season and again when I noticed that they were on pace to go way over. They're adults and don't need to be babied about fantasy baseball.

I also don't go around giving sources like rotoworld and the cafe out, and those are advantages I have if they don't use them. Thinking of strategies and using resources is part of the game too.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 29, 2004 3:47 am

bboy wrote:So basically syntax doesn't matter, hence the tongue in cheek thingy. That also wasn't a sentence.
yeah I got your point, I just don't put emoticons all over my posts all the time

(but to make sure you got it this time: ;-) )

still, knowing about the e/ing thing is pretty basic, whereas I'm purposely skipping a commonly known rule of english grammar and I think that's fairly obvious
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bboy » Sat May 29, 2004 3:50 am

neither do - just when something might be misconstrued

and yes - but I believe I can learn to live with it
bboy
Minor League Mentor