Yet Another Ethics Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yet Another Ethics Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yet Another Ethics Question

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat May 29, 2004 2:38 am

I've read and given feedback to some of your questions so can you please help me out with this sitch:

I am the commish of a 7-person pool (should have been more but 2 guys backed out at the last minute). Anyways, I set up the point system based on a pool that I did with my brother and his friends last year. Basically, closers are very valuable. And, the more closers the better; there are 3 RP spots and 4 SP spots. Everybody has 3 closers and right now I have 7 (I drafted Chacon and Graves and picked up Affeldt and Jimenez this week). I set up the roster positions on purpose so that having closers that qualify for SP is a huge advantage. I didn't want anybody to catch on to my strategy but I felt it would be unfair if I left them in the dark. So, I posted the commisioner's note before the draft and listed in it the Yahoo eligibility rules, among other things.
Now, as I sit in 1st place and am probably going to win, the other owners are bitching about me cheating and stealing their money by purposely setting up the system like this and taking advantage of it.

I guess my question is, is my strategy fair, or am I really cheating my friends? I thought the commisioner's note would absolve me of any guilt but it makes no difference to them because they probably didn't read it in the first place.

Any comments would be much appreciated.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sat May 29, 2004 2:47 am

the first rule of playing in a fantasy league is to know the rules.

if you posted prior to the draft that this was an option then you are, as far as I am concerned, free of guilt. Also, they knew the scoring ahead of time, so they should have figured out that closers were big-time.

this brings up another question, however. is it a good idea to be in a money league with your friends if you know that they are not as good or as interested in fantasy sports as you are... seems like a situation that will inevitably lead to conflict and resentment.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 29, 2004 2:50 am

I agree 103% with the poster above.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat May 29, 2004 2:53 am

Thanx for the reply

I asked the eight ball if I was in the wrong and it said "Yes." But then I asked if Shawn Green would hit 70 HR's this year and it also said "Yes." So I'm confused!

:*)
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bboy » Sat May 29, 2004 3:00 am

I think the 8 ball is still pissed at you cos it missed the post and drafted no closers. ;-7
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat May 29, 2004 3:05 am

How long ahead of time did you post this commissioners message? was it there and OBVIOUS? or just thrown in among the fine print? Did you just put it there and trust them to find it? Or tell them 'btw you may want to check out the commish message when you get the chance'?????.....

I don't know you and could be totally way off base but....it seems to me like if you felt you had to put the commish warning there in the first place you either A)new you were up to something kind of fishy and were setting up a way ahead of time to cover your ass or B)thought this might be overlooked and your conscience MADE you put it there so you wouldnt be taking advantage of the situation.....

again i dont know you at all but a few things you said and even more so the WAY you said them bother me a good bit .Feel free to clarify if i am taking them wrong:QUOTE: I set up the roster positions on purpose so that having closers that qualify for SP is a huge advantage. END QUOTE,,,,,,the words ON PURPOSE continuously echo in my head but in fairness that may very well be because there is lots of empty space in there......

QUOTE:I thought the commisioner's note would absolve me of any guilt ....ENDQUOTE

sounds an awful lot like "i covered my arse" to me......

I doubt thats the opinion you WANTED to hear but you asked and thats the way i took it. Bottom line: only YOU know what you were thinking at the time. It sounds to me like you have ask yourself and be honest with yourself. If you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and KNOW you didnt do anything shady then good enough,,,stick by your guns. IF not then the answer is obvious. I will say this,,,,,i almost guaranTEE you some of those owners read that thing, possibly even considered your strategy, and went another direction instead. Now that it isnt working out they are crying sour grapes. A few of them however, probably really DIDNT read it at all. If thats the case then if they had been told to read it, and it was there for a sufficient amount of time, and PLAINLY VISIBLE....then they have noone to blame but themselves.

Just my opinion, for what very little it is worth.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat May 29, 2004 3:10 am

Call the police, there's been a robbery....

You had a huge advantage having done the setup before. If they were open to any setup, that's their fault. If you changed settings at the last minute (which I didn't read too in-depth into your post), I'd feel guilty.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Urge » Sat May 29, 2004 3:18 am

I'm glad I don't have friends like you.

As a side note, any league where you can win with a staff of closers sucks. I'll stick with good ole' fashioned roto.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat May 29, 2004 3:19 am

As long as the scoreing system was in place and viewable under the league rules or constitution at least a week before the draft, (preferrably a little more) then you did nothing wrong. Throwing the commissioners message out there is just iceing on the cake to your benefit as you waved a flag to make them all awaree of the rules.

Was that system of scoreing a part of the original scoreing system the other guys were told it would be before getting into the pool? If not I really hope you made sure they were all very aware of it.

All in all, it sounds like sour grapes to me on their part. I have lost count of the times over the years where articulate, extremely intelligent, mature men with families, etc................................. Decided that in accordance with the scoreing system they had been cheated........ Even though the scoreing system was there well ahead of time and they all had ample time to adjust their rateings accordingly.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat May 29, 2004 3:20 am

Thanx. You are right in that I put the note there simply to cover my ass. I didn't want people to figure out my strategy until after I had the SP/RP closers. But, I also wanted to be able to show them the note in case this exact situation hapenned. I figured out this strategy last year and I'm simply employing it again. As a member of the league, competing for the pot, it would not be wise to reveal my startegy to everybody. But, as commissioner, I have some responsibility to inform people of the rules and etc. The question is, where does my responsibility start and end? I thought that posting the note was enough. I didn't care if anybody read it. It is like a contract. If someone signs it, it is his responsibility to read what it says. He can't argue that he missed clause 2b and therefore is not bound to it. People gave me 25 bucks in an implied contract (ex: by eating at a restaurant, even though you do not sign anything it is implied that you will pay at the end). I made the rules, we drafted, they got screwed. Their fault, not mine.

Am I right or do you disagree?
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers