sosa deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

sosa deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

sosa deal?

Postby ivan » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:08 pm

I'm in first place in a 5x5 with weekly changes and no reserves and 2 IL spots.

First in HR and RBI---Second in R---Eighth in SB (14 separates me from 2nd)----Sixth in BA with .273

Want to get rid of a player bc it would clear up space for Spivey off the IL. Maybe Delgado (and his awful avg) since just got Giambi, L.Castillo as part of a trade??

My OF and U are:
OF- Erstad, Berkman, Drew, L.Walker, A.Jones
U- Delgado, B.Giles.

The ninth place team has:
OF- Sosa, J.Jones, Beltran, Wilkerson, D.Ward,
U- Finley, T.Batista
1B- D.Lee

Don't mind giving up an extra player bc it'll give me flexibility each week. I'm thinking either a) OF and Delgado for Sosa or b) 2 OF for Sosa since his is pretty weak.

What do you think is the better move? Which players should I consider moving. In saying so, could you also please rank the 7 players for the rest of the season.

Appreciate your feedback! Thanks.
:-D
ivan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby AirTimid » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:58 pm

He'll probably want Berkman and Delgado for Sosa. Sosa is better than Berkman, but I don't know if he is "Delgado" better. Delgado's avg will probably be low, but he's pretty much gauranteed to hit 30+ hrs and 100+ RBI's.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:20 pm

Agreed - if I were the other team, those are the two I'd aim for in exchange for Sosa. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a good deal for you, but if you'd be dropping Delgado outright, then it's probably worth it. See if you can get a slight upgrade at another position as part of the deal, however.

These guys are mostly pretty close, so ranking them is a bit like throwing darts, but here goes:

Berkman, Walker, Jones, Giles, Delgado, Erstad, Drew. Or something like that... :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ivan » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:22 pm

You're right in that there's no real advantage for me except for the extra bait. Hmm. Maybe I should just cut Spivey if no trade is possible?

I offered Delgado, Jones and Erstad for Beltran and Sosa.
From what I've gathered, the deal seems unfair so I withdrew it.

I've come up with Delgado, Berkman and either Drew or Erstad for Beltran and Sosa
ivan

Postby Arlo » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:25 pm

Sounds like a plan - let us know what happens!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ivan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:58 am

Hi,

I've decided not to do the trade since I really won't benefit much (you were right). Didn't want to give up Erstad. Sooo, will keep
Delgado and his 30hr and 100rbis. :-D

Will drop Drew (big risk but won't help if not healthy) and activate Spivey. I'm sure that Castillo and J.Giambi will make up for Drew's numbers.

What do you think of A.Jones for Beltran? Who's the better 2nd half performer. Like Beltran bc he's a switch hitter with that the Sweeney guy behind him. The division has weak pitching. Jones is doing great but will it continue? Besides, don't particularly like him which should have no bearing in fantasy baseball.

Considering my lineup, will picking up Edgar help me?

c- Pudge, AJ
1b- Giambi (nyy)
2b- Castillo
3b- Ventura (rotate with Hinske, Koskie)
ss- Tejada
of- L.Walker, Erstad, Berk, A.Jones, B.Giles
u- Delgado, Spivey

Thanks a bunch! ;-D
ivan

Postby Arlo » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:37 pm

Traditionally, Beltran has been slightly better after the break, while it's the opposite with Jones. It's tough to predict whether that will happen again, but they're close enough anyway that it's an intriguing idea. Go for it!

And Edgar would help if he's fully recovered, but you'd probably have to drop a 3b to make room for him.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ivan » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:06 pm

Arlo, I actually just have Ventura. I meant that I could add and drop on a weekly basis (either Koskie or Hinske on a week to week basis) depending on the hot hand or matchup. recall that there is no bench.

Soooo, I would have to drop Delgado or Spivey. Which one, if any at all?

I feel pretty comfortable about the batting.

thanks. ;-D
ivan

Postby Arlo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:45 pm

Ah. In that case, you can call this either way, going for either Martinez' bat or Spivey as insurance at a hard-to-fill position. Seeing as there seems to be some decent quality still available in your league, I think I'd be tempted to pick up Edgar, but it's by no means an obvious decision.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers