Farnsworth as a closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Farnsworth as a closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Farnsworth as a closer?

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:32 pm

So Borowski blows the save in the first game, Hawkins has now blown the save in the 2nd game...what are the odds of Farnsworth becoming closer? I realize he isn't the most controlled pitcher, but he has crazy stuff. Any Cubs fans think there is any shot of him becoming the new closer, being that Hawkins is noted for being a setup man and not a closer?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Sat May 29, 2004 12:28 am

Farnsworth has stunk this year and Hawkins at least has control. I don't think there's much of a chance of Farnsworth closing this year, but I certainly think that Hawkins will have to get the job and lose it before Dusty even considers handing the ball to Farnsworth in the 9th.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Sat May 29, 2004 12:48 am

I find this incredibly funny.

All you guys call for the head of Borowski and demand Hawkins gets the closers role.

He gets a chance and blows it (as he did regularly for the Twins) and all of a sudden Farnsworth becomes an option.

Farnsworth at the moment would be a terrible option as a closer.

Hawkins is a great set up guy as he has shown the past 2 seasons.

Borowski, despite currently having a high ERA and WHIP has been as good as automatic since the beginning of last year as a closer. He will remain the Cubs closer and if he gets regular work and save opps. will continue to be be very good doing it.

There is a certain irony in what happened today. The Cubs had given Borowski just 8 save chances despite winning 25 games this season and he had converted all of them.

Today they decide to give out 2 chances and both are blown.

Borowski will remain the closer.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 29, 2004 12:50 am

I'm not a Cubs expert...but I also know that Farnsworth is considered the closer of the future...and it's also noted that (even before today), Hawkins doesn't really have the mentality of a closer.

That leads us to plan c - farnsworth.

Not saying he should get the gig, but in a very deep league I would stash him...it wouldn't be any crazier than Arizona calling Service (the 37 year old) the new closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Sat May 29, 2004 1:14 am

hmmm.. he had one BAD outing this season. without that outing his era is 2.8ish. I think farnsworth certainly deserves a shot :)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:16 am

matmat wrote:hmmm.. he had one BAD outing this season. without that outing his era is 2.8ish. I think farnsworth certainly deserves a shot :)

Yeah, he's worth keeping an eye on anyways...I wasn't implying for everyone to rush to their nearest league page and pick the guy up...I do think Hawkins will get the first crack at the job, but I honestly don't know if he has what it takes to succeed there either. Farnworth would be a great option in a keeper, or very deep league (16+ teams)....I think he'll have the job by the end of this season or beginning of next.

He has the arm of a closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat May 29, 2004 1:32 am

Arm of a closer. Mind of a moron.

Farnsworth won't get the ball to close. I'd even say, Francis Beltran (long been dubbed closer of the future by the organization) would get the ball in the 9th before Kyle.

It'll take a couple another blown save or two to give the ball in the 9th consistently to LaTroy. Had Joe not set down the heart of the Cards order in the 9th a week ago -- very possible LaTroy has the job after 2nite's outing by Joe.

The only thing I worry about LaTroy is getting overworked. An overworked LaTroy is a lot better than the AAA-stuff Joe has right now.

I think the effectiveness of Remlinger will dictate whether LaTroy gets the ball sooner or at all in the 9th. Joe's pitches have no life at all to them this year.

LaTroy is by far the best reliever on the Cubs. Any fellow Cub fan will agree with that.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:38 am

Registered_Guest wrote:
LaTroy is by far the best reliever on the Cubs. Any fellow Cub fan will agree with that.

Best reliever, yes....best closer, not necessarily.

You made some good points though, I don't know much about the Beltran guy you mentioned, but I'll take your word for it that he is the "closer of the future" even though I thought Farnsworth was supposed to be.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat May 29, 2004 2:08 am

yes he has been my darkhorse(and in my mind really not ALL THAT DARK) for closer all along. someone in my very deep keeper league dropped him and i was alllllll TOOO damn happy to snatch him up at $1. It may not be till next year but farnsworth IS the better closing prospect of the 3.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtarail » Sat May 29, 2004 5:57 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I find this incredibly funny.

All you guys call for the head of Borowski and demand Hawkins gets the closers role.

He gets a chance and blows it (as he did regularly for the Twins) and all of a sudden Farnsworth becomes an option.

Farnsworth at the moment would be a terrible option as a closer.

Hawkins is a great set up guy as he has shown the past 2 seasons.

Borowski, despite currently having a high ERA and WHIP has been as good as automatic since the beginning of last year as a closer. He will remain the Cubs closer and if he gets regular work and save opps. will continue to be be very good doing it.

There is a certain irony in what happened today. The Cubs had given Borowski just 8 save chances despite winning 25 games this season and he had converted all of them.

Today they decide to give out 2 chances and both are blown.

Borowski will remain the closer.

I like the confidence, although IMO it's misplaced. I don't think Dusty has all that much confidence in Joe Bo. Just look at the Cubs/LA game on May 13. Joe Bo flails in the 9th until the bases are loaded with 2 outs. Does Dusty stick with his closer? No, he brings in Hawkins who gets the final out, the save, and protects Joe Bo's ERA. Stuff like May 13 (and just watching him pitch) indicate to me that his job is not all that secure.

BTW, regardless of the Joe Bo excuses/explanations, his ERA is currently over 8 and his whip is over 2.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers