Philly Freaks Come Out at Night - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Philly Freaks Come Out at Night

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Philly Freaks Come Out at Night

Postby trailblazur » Fri May 28, 2004 1:54 pm

A fan in Philadelphia has filed complaints against Phil Nevin with the Phillies, MLB, the Players Association, and the Padres.
The fan had some harsh words for Nevin, who admittedly spat back with some profanity, not realizing the man's daughter was present. Because Padres' president Dick Freeman is now involved and upset, Nevin could face some discipline. ''My take now is that I am very concerned. If it happened this way, it is an embarrassment to our franchise and we will deal with it,'' Freeman said. Brian Giles said he witnessed the confrontation, calling it a ''nonissue'' and the fan's complaint ''ridiculous.'' Nevin explained himself to GM Kevin Towers with: ''Kevin, I walked off the field and the fan is screaming at me, and I look up and say something back, and he keeps going, and I said something back to him. That was it.'' Pardon an editorial, but with all the recent reports about the venom and vulgarity opposing teams have had to endure in the visiting bullpen in Philadelpha, including from children, this complaint appears especially hypocritical.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Imagine that.......a philly fan complaining about this??? Give me a break!!!
trailblazur
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 28, 2004 1:56 pm

LOL, guess they always have to have something to complain about.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 28, 2004 1:58 pm

No kidding...that's sad.

As I was watching my fantasy starter Millwood get demolished last night, I heard the announcers talking about how close the visitor's bullpen is to the crowd in the new Philly ballpark, and it truly is very very close...I think MLB should have some kind of rules about the proximity of fans and players. I don't think they should be separated completely, but when fans can literally spit on players (and vice versa), that's too close.
Last edited by slomo007 on Fri May 28, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Apollo » Fri May 28, 2004 2:02 pm

I believe the correct spelling would be "phreaks." :-b
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby WhiteHot » Fri May 28, 2004 2:08 pm

slomo007 wrote:No kidding...that's sad.

As I was watching my fantasy starter Millwood get demolished last night, I heard the announcers talking about how close the visitor's bullpen is to the crowd in the new Philly ballpark, and it truly is very very close...I think MLB should have some kind of rules about the proximity of fans and players. I don't think they should be separated completely, but when fans can literally spit on players (and vice versa), that's too close.

They have security guards in the proximity. So opposing players are not supposed to get booed or taunted? I think that falls under home field advantage. It happens every place else. No need to make it an issue just because it's Philly.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 28, 2004 2:14 pm

I realize they have security guards...but I still saw tons of fans leaning on the railing immediately above the visiting players...I'm sure things get said, which probably happens to a degree at some ballparks...but that is just too close for comfort IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Phantanic » Fri May 28, 2004 4:22 pm

slomo007 wrote:I realize they have security guards...but I still saw tons of fans leaning on the railing immediately above the visiting players...I'm sure things get said, which probably happens to a degree at some ballparks...but that is just too close for comfort IMO.

I hope you're joking... Yankees Stadium, Fenway, Wrigley.... I'll be present at Sunday's game maybe I'll toss something a Smoltz while I'm there. j/k }:-)

The guy is an idiot for filing the complaint tho...
Phantanic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers