One Catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

One Catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have you tried a one Catcher Strategy and if so, what were the results?

No, I have never gone with one catcher
13%
Yes, I always only use one catcher and I always win my league
19%
I tried using only one catcher once, but it caused my team to lose the season
No votes
Yes, I have used the one catcher strategy before and it typically works to my advantage
69%

Total votes : 16

One Catcher?

Postby Liberty30 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:36 am

Is going with one catcher a good idea? I'm in a roto league and have been going with a one catcher strategy this season (Posada), and was wondering if anyone else had tried this strategy before, and if so what the results were. Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

:-?
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 28, 2004 11:41 am

This is my first serious year in FB, and I think I may be in the minority, but if you have one of the stud C (Piazza, Posada, Pudge, etc) then you should be able to get by with just that. It's when you wait untill later rounds to get a C that you need multiple C's IMO. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri May 28, 2004 11:42 am

Unless you know what days your catcher is going to be off (like Varitek when Wakefield pitches), I don't see a reason for carrying two catchers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri May 28, 2004 11:57 am

I've never gone with two catchers before this year, usually because I wait til late in the draft to get one and then start churning through streaking guys on FA (last year nabbed GMyers, then LeCroy later).

This year is different because I couldn't let Piazza slide past the fifth round (14-team league), and then found CWilson loitering in the 21st round. Let's just say I'm happy with my C situation, but I wouldn't have two of them if they were, say, BMolina and THall.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Arlo » Fri May 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Depends entirely on how much roster space you have, and whether you use daily or weekly lineups...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 2:10 pm

Arlo wrote:Depends entirely on how much roster space you have, and whether you use daily or weekly lineups...

I agree. I always go with 1 catcher, though. Why am I gonna waste a spot on Toby Hall for 2 starts a week max when I can use it for another pitcher??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 28, 2004 2:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Arlo wrote:Depends entirely on how much roster space you have, and whether you use daily or weekly lineups...

I agree. I always go with 1 catcher, though. Why am I gonna waste a spot on Toby Hall for 2 starts a week max when I can use it for another pitcher??

Exactly. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Mordraken » Fri May 28, 2004 3:30 pm

Well put Lofunzo. I mean - if you have 25-30 roster spots (say 7-10 bench spots) then maybe it would be worth it. But the quality of catcher available that would probably be the 10th to 20th best catches (expected productoin of a .240 average, 60 RBIs, 50 runs, 2 stolen bases over the year)... it would be much better to carry an extra OF, multi-positional infielder, SP or even a low-WHIP RP for spot duties than to cary a catcher who will not only play occasionally but you won't know who to start even if he did play more often.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 28, 2004 3:56 pm

How many games does that extra OF really get into, though? If you're an active manager and can check pre-game lineups, you can squeeze a lot of surprising amount of extra production out of the catcher position, especially if you've planned ahead and picked up an East Coast starter.

Plus, catcher is a dandy position to set up a Coors platoon. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 28, 2004 4:03 pm

Arlo wrote:How many games does that extra OF really get into, though? If you're an active manager and can check pre-game lineups, you can squeeze a lot of surprising amount of extra production out of the catcher position, especially if you've planned ahead and picked up an East Coast starter.

Plus, catcher is a dandy position to set up a Coors platoon. ;-D

That's true and I agree if I have a deep bench. In my roto league, I only have 2 offensive bench spots. I would much rather rotate a hot OF than roll the dice that Toby Hall won't go 0-for-4 when I plug him in once a week.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers