Favorable Matchups or Let Em Play? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Favorable Matchups or Let Em Play?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Favorable Matchups or Let Em Play?

Postby birty74 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:28 pm

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a successful pitching strategy for the year in my Yahoo private leage.

We've got 9 teams, and are measured by 11 stats: Innings Pitched, Wins, Losses, Complete Games, Shutouts, Saves, Hits, Earned Runs, Walks, Strikeouts, Earned Run Average.

Our league has no IP limits, and all of our pitchers can be on our active rosters all year (in other words, we don't have to keep any pitchers on the bench).

I have 11 pitchers on my roster: Billy Wagner, Mark Mulder, Matt Morris, Odalis Perez, Keith Foulke, Hideo Nomo, Ramon Ortiz, Oliver Perez, CC Sabathia, Danys Baez, and Mike DeJean.

I'm looking at my Nomo vs. Johnson matchup today, as the first of many decisions I must make in terms of favorable pitching matchups.

I'm struggling with the strategy here. Do I go ahead and let Nomo start and take the probable loss and get his IP, K's, and other stats that he can help me with? Or do I bench him to avoid the loss?

Are there particular pitchers I have who should always start? Are there particular pitchers that I should play the matchup game with?

Or is the matchup game a game that is better left unplayed?

Should I get a rotation system going, dropping a pitcher off of my roster every day, and picking up one from the FA list with a favorable matchup?

Basically, what can I do strategy-wise to improve my chances of performing well in pitching categories?

Are there any websites out there (free or pay) that help fantasy managers assess pitching matchups?

I know there are lots of issues and questions here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
birty74
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:56 pm

It depends on whether you're playing head-to-head or roto.

In roto, I'd start your studs unless the matchup is extremely poor (at Colorado, for instance), and pitchers like Nomo when the matchup looks good.

In head-to-head, an all-bats strategy might be worth considering... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tofu » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:50 pm

whats the all bats startegey
tofu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Siege1386 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:10 pm

I like to let em play. But then again I do get caught every once in a while, but I also cry alot when I try to play the matchups because I miss a good outing. Just pick one and go with it.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

rotiseree

Postby gypsyspot » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:23 pm

if its roto, go with the fellas you like no matter what the match up.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:08 pm

tofu wrote:whats the all bats startegey
If you don't start a pitcher, you'll win hits, earned runs, walks and era (if scored as 0.00). You might also take losses, making it five. The other team then has to get lucky and pick up a shutout to beat you in pitching; no complete game and you're ahead. If your hitting is solid, this can be a nasty tactic in head-to-headleagues that allow it (which is why many have an innings minimum).

Just something to keep in mind... At any rate, this looks like a solid pitching staff that won't need such ploys. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:39 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the pitching staff.

We are a roto league.

I almost benched Nomo today because he was pitching against the Unit. I'm glad I decided against it.

I may play matchups with the likes of Perez and maybe Sabathia and Ortiz, but I'll probably let these guys play otherwise.

I may bench starters at Coors, though.

Any more feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:20 am

I started Nomo today too. Woooohoooo

but I also had Halladay :-o
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers