Shortest Baseball Career - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Shortest Baseball Career

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:57 pm

Veeck was a genius. After midgets were banned from playing he found an even better use. He hired Gaedel along with several small friends and had them serve as ballpark vendors. Veeck had been getting complaints about normal-sized vendors blocking the view.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:02 am

If I were a midget I would sue MLB and get a spot at the end of the bench for $250,000/year.

In todays PC world how could they deny me 8-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:18 pm

wkelly91 wrote:If I were a midget I would sue MLB and get a spot at the end of the bench for $250,000/year.

In todays PC world how could they deny me 8-o

Sadly, you are probably right, wkelly91. On the other hand I can sue the NBA to force them to let me play. So what If I can't shoot, jump, dribble or play defense. It is discriminatory for them to hold that against me. :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby irishdude103 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:58 pm

my old principal played in da majors for 2 days
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:03 am

They ban midgets still? That seems just wrong.....there must be a way around it where they don't just go out and say "you have to be this tall to play". There must be a minimum size for the strike zone or something, so if you're tiny of crouch down a lot, you can still be K'd.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:30 pm

No player ever hit a HR and only played one game.

No pitcher ever pitched a shutout and only pitched one game.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby frog99 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:47 pm

DK wrote:No player ever hit a HR and only played one game.

No pitcher ever pitched a shutout and only pitched one game.

noticed that too? Makes sense... since the begining mangers were at least smart enough to see that if you hit a homer or pitched a shutout you deserved a second game.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby MarisFan61 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Larry Gowell

HS Kid from Lewiston, Maine
Drafted in the 4th round by the Yankees in 1967 draft:
Pitched in 2 games--started 1:
7 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 2 BB, and 7K's....but the loss
....but he never played again

Hello people......Dunno if anyone still remembers this old thread (or cares) :-) but.......I had a couple of answers about these people so I figured why not.

I sort of "knew" Larry Gowell, and I have a good guess about why he never pitched again in the ML.
At the time, I was in school in Milwaukee, and, being a Yankee fan, I tried to get to County Stadium whenever the Yanks were in town. After a game in September, I was hanging out by the Yanks' clubhouse door and talked to some of the players. One of them came up to me (for no particular reason) and asked if I could GIVE A RIDE to him and one of the other guys. Larry Gowell was the other guy. He had just been called up ...... hadn't been in a game yet. The NEXT day, the Brewers were winning in a blowout, SO THE YANKS GAVE THE KID A CHANCE. He was terrific -- shut out the Brewers for a couple of innings. I was extra-excited because I was the only one in the ballpark who had any idea who Gowell was. As you noted, he later got that one start, and did very well although he took the loss.

AS TO WHY HE NEVER PLAYED AGAIN: During our ride, he spoke of how his RELIGION limited his playing time. He was (and, I imagine, is) a practicing Seventh-Day Adventist, which means NOT WORKING ON FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY (just like Orthodox Jews). Obviously this makes it tough to keep a roster spot, even for a pitcher. I assume that's the reason he never got another shot.

By the way......as you might gather, he seemed like a terrific guy. I was sorry he didn't see more ML time, but hopefully and probably he's had a nice and satisfying life regardless.
MarisFan61
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re:

Postby MarisFan61 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:16 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Buzz Arlett 6'3 225 lb-1931 Phillies:

418-AB .313-Ave 26-2b 7-3b 18-Hr 72-Rbi 45-Bb 39-K 3-Sb

Why did this guy never get another shot? He didn't die(1899-1964) Just don't understand......

Even though I never gave a ride to this guy :-D I have a pretty good idea of why he didn't play any more in the ML.

Basically "Smead Jolley syndrome."
The guy was what you might call a "born DH"......too bad for him there was no DH yet.

He let in more runs with his glove than he drove in with his bat.
Smead Jolley was the most noted example of that at the time, although he did get a bit more time in the ML.
MarisFan61
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re:

Postby thedude » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Allan Travers 1912-05-18 8.0 IP 26 H 14 ER 0 HR 7 BB 1 K

I'm sorry, but OUCH!

A fun fact, Allen Travers was seminary student. He only pitched because Cobb was suspended for beating a handless New York spectator who called him a name. After Cobb was suspended the rest his teammates went on strike, so the Tigers management patched together a team to play the day's game. They got Travers to start. The Tigers lost badly.

Here are the other guys who only career game was that day:

Hap Ward, Dan McGarvey, Jim McGarr, Vincent Maney, Jack Smith, Ed Irvin, and Bill Leinhauser.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History